• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Kentucky fall turkey season....

Started by coyote101, October 24, 2011, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

.... started Saturday. A friend and I were out before daylight Saturday morning and he scored on a nice tom a little after 8:00. I tried again yesterday, and had twenty-one in the field about 8:30, but they never came closer than a hundred yards or so. I headed back out to my blind early this morning and about 7:35 ten hens came into the field eating and chasing each other around. They all got up around my decoys and I waited for one of them to seperate from the rest so I wouldn't hit more than one. One of them finally gave me a clear shot at about twenty yards and I let her have it. She went down, flopped a few times and that was it. At 7:40 my turkey hunting day was over. We can kill two during the fall gun season and two during the archery/crossbow season, so my turkey season isn't over yet.

The sun rising behind my decoys:

Looking back to the scene of the crime:

Hero shot:

A FinsandFur shout out:

Mossberg 835 scores again. I love this shotgun:

My friend Kenny shot this guy Saturday morning. A tad under twenty pounds and 11 3/4 inch beard:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bambam

Good job , congrats to both of you !!   :yoyo: :yoyo:

iahntr

Scott

Todd Rahm

Good stuff Pat!!!!!!!!!! I love my 835 too, but I don't have a turkey population.  :doh2:

nastygunz

Beautiful bird and all I use is my Mossberg 835, they are turkey killas!!!

Tikaani

Congrats Pat, one of these days I'm going to have to come down there and get one of those.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

KySongDog

Congratulations, Pat, on a nice bird!     :congrats:

Biscuit

FinsnFur

Very nice Pat :congrats:
Looked to be an awesome day to be out there too. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the turkey.  I only wish that I could talk turkey the way some callers do.  My best bet is to not call at all.

Jerry

HaMeR

A couple nice birds Pat!! You sure got hooked on turkey hunting!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

A sunrise behind the turkey decoys is pure bliss.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Congrats Pat!  Nice camera work, too.  How far out are those decoys?  The pic makes it look like 70/80yds.
Wish there were more birds, and huntable land around here.  They closed down the fall turkey season in our area b/c of numbers being down.

coyote101

Quote from: Dave on October 25, 2011, 08:26:01 AM
How far out are those decoys?  The pic makes it look like 70/80yds.

Dave, my camera doesn't give great depth perception and it is hard to judge distance in those pictures, but the decoys are right at twenty-five yards. The far tree line is about a hundred thirty-five.

Quote from: Dave on October 25, 2011, 08:26:01 AM
Wish there were more birds, and huntable land around here.  They closed down the fall turkey season in our area b/c of numbers being down.

This place is over run with turkeys. This group came out fairly early and I'm sure if I had waited I would have seen several more. There was a bunch in the woods behind me carrying on when this group came out. The past several times out I have counted between twenty-one and thirty-six at a time in that field.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Dave

Quote from: coyote101 on October 25, 2011, 11:10:02 AM
This place is over run with turkeys. Pat

Lucky!  A four bird season, I guess you are over run with 'em. 
I saw a bow in your video clip - that'd be incredible to get one with a bow.  Good luck.

coyote101

Quote from: Dave on October 26, 2011, 07:16:03 AM
I saw a bow in your video clip - that'd be incredible to get one with a bow.  Good luck.

Dave,

That was my friend's bow. He was going to try for a turkey with it if offered a shot, but when the tom's came to the decoys they weren't at a good angle and he reached for his shotgun. With two of us in his blind there wasn't a lot of room to move around.

I have been trying with my bow for several weeks now, and have missed a couple. The vital zone on a turkey is pretty small and I am no Robin Hood, but I hope to get at least one before the season ends. I hit one pretty hard with my crossbow a couple of weeks ago and thought she was done for, but she got up and took off and I never could find her. A turkey doesn't leave much of a blood trail and they are tougher than I thought.

The fall gun season runs through Friday and then comes back in for a week in December. I can kill one more with a gun this year. The archery season runs continuously through January 16 and crossbows are legal again from November 16 till the end of December. I can get two with archery equipment. So, I still have a lot of turkey hunting to do this year.

Pat 
NRA Life Member

WldWldWest

Pat, You have turned in to a regular Turkey Stomper!!!! :bowingsmilie:
Good job and congrats to both of ya'll!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

shaddragger

:yoyo: :yoyo: Go Mossberg! Put the HAMMER on 'em!!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

nastygunz

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 24, 2011, 10:45:34 PM
Congrats on the turkey.  I only wish that I could talk turkey the way some callers do.  My best bet is to not call at all.

Jerry

I always think i am a decent caller until I listen to Marlin Watkins or Larry Gresser then I realize I aint even on the radar with them!!

HaMeR

Larry Gresser makes some of the most realistic & nicest calls on the market. I made 2 scratch boxes from the plans he shared on the internet & couldn't get them to play right. I talked to him on the phone & he told me they sounded close but wanted to see them 1st hand. I sent them out & he tuned them by re-making the paddles & sent them back. Didn't want a penny for his work or time either. wwwest has one of the two. I've only ever heard of Marlin Watkins. Never seen his calling.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11