• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Started the morning out wide open...

Started by centerfire_223, November 04, 2011, 07:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

I went to a farm that I hadn't called yet this year. After the moonson rains last night I figured the coyotes would be out trying to find some grub this morning.

How come when we find something working good, we want to go and change things. That was the case with my shooting sticks. I have been using plain ole shooting sticks for years but I got the bright idea I would try out one of the single leg monopods. So I went in and sat down and started out with a little crack pipe music and within 15 seconds I had a coyote pop out into the field about 125 yards out. I think he picked me out about as soon as he stepped out, cause he was already headed back into the thicket time I saw him. I made the shot but hit the coyote a little far back and he got away.

So I headed across the road to another stand and started the music up again and within 30 seconds and a coyote coming hard to the call. She ran up to about 15 yards and I barked and stopped her. Then flattened her with a load of #4 buck, DRT.

She was a really blonde colored dog with a redish back and pretty good size for a female. I later learned that this coyote has been eating the farmers cats at their house.

Not a bad way to start off the season. Headed out again tomorrow, hopefully I will have more stories to tell then.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

iahntr

Scott

Jeb

Okanagan

Congrats!  Man, you sure have pretty colored coyotes there.

Is that a rifle & shotgun over and under?

Todd Rahm

Dandy way to start the season off. Looks like she has a nice hide too?

centerfire_223

Yes that is a Bakail .223/12ga combo gun. I love this gun and it has killed many coyotes over the years. Even with it being a single shot I have killed 3 at one time. I think Remington is making this gun now, from what I have heard. It's a great gun, saves from toting two guns, for those who do that. The rifle shoots nice tight groups, and the cost isn't bad $399 when I bought mine.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

weedwalker

Way To Go Ronnie!! Congrats on the big female. :highclap: :highclap:

KySongDog

Quote from: centerfire_223 on November 05, 2011, 04:21:09 AM
Yes that is a Bakail .223/12ga combo gun. I love this gun and it has killed many coyotes over the years. Even with it being a single shot I have killed 3 at one time. I think Remington is making this gun now, from what I have heard. It's a great gun, saves from toting two guns, for those who do that. The rifle shoots nice tight groups, and the cost isn't bad $399 when I bought mine.

Real nice, Ronnie!!   

As for Remington's over and under rifle/shotgun,  a quick search of Remington's site says they only ran those a couple of years and then discontinued them.   I wonder if they found it to be too much a special purpose gun?  Seems like a great idea to me. 

centerfire_223

They still have them listed on the Bakail site, it is a MP94 model.

You can get them in a .223, .30=06, .308 with the 12 guage. I tried to figure out how to post the picture here but didn't get that done.

http://www.eaacorp.com/
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

HaMeR

That is a fine looking coyote!! Congratulations!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

W  I  D  E     OPEN

Nice work Ronnie. Good to see ya still at er. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Way to go Ronnie.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Looks like a great way to start the season.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

thumper144

Good shootin.  Regarding the o/u....I have been looking at these for some time now and am unsure of their accuracy.  How does your shotgun shoot at 20-30-40-50yrds.  Reason I ask is because 2 of my buddies owned the savage model 24 and both of them shot the 223 very well (one had it sighted for 75yrds and the other for 100)but when they would go to the 12 gauge they would shoot extremely low.  Both at 40 yrds would shoot 12-15 inches low.  The savage had the 223 on top, your gun has the 12 gauge on top, it has got to be better.  Please let me know, I am interested in

centerfire_223

The shotgun shoots right on where the scope is zeroed. I have killed coyotes out to about 30 yards with the shotgun. Anything further than that I just shoot the rifle. When I first got this gun the rifle would only shoot about 3 inch groups but the more I have shot it, the better it gets. Now it's nothing to get 1 inch groups. I can consistently hit a 5 inch circle at 300 yards with it. Most of the time it shoots better than I do.

Jim the crack pipe is still making heads roll and singing beautiful music at the same time.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Ronnie and keep the Crack pot tuned up, gonna need it down in Georgia.   :highclap: cc

Frogman

Wow!!  It's good to see you guys getting some fur down!  WTG!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!