• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

30 days and counting...

Started by Coulter, March 05, 2012, 09:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Two years ago I tackled Pennsylvania’s 30.5 mile West Rim Trail with a friend. Last year I tackled Pennsylvania’s 42 mile Black Forest Trail on a solo backpacking trip. I also hit the Adirondacks for the first time and climbed Wakely Mountain; I posted pics of that last year. I’ve had the itch to get back up there and climb more mountains ever since. My daughter and I will be heading up on April 4 to ascend at least 3 and possibly 4 peaks. Our plan is to hit the Santanoni Range (Couchsacraga, Panther and Santanoni Peaks). And maybe try to squeeze in Gothics either first or last. My daughter really wants to hit a summit via at least one rock slide; I have no problem with that since it’s a bit more challenging and much cooler than the beaten down herd paths used by most.

We were talking about this trip last night and we both decided we want to climb all 46 peaks in the Adirondacks with elevations of at least 4000 feet (ADK 46-R).  This will take a few years to accomplish, but it will be some good quality time spent together. I just wish we had done this sooner since she will be going off to the Navy in August then attending college afterward. I see a lot of summer trips in the future. :innocentwhistle: I’m pretty excited to start this new quest. We’ll be spending the next month getting geared up.

slagmaker

Man that sounds like a great time and a great way to spend time with your daughter.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

What a fabulous post and quest!  Good for you.  It says tons about you and your daughter.  Whether you bag all of the peaks or not that is terrific time with your daughter, even in the planning and anticipation alone.

Let us know how the next hike goes.

coyote101

What a great time that should be. :biggrin: Good luck on your adventures and you know we expect pictures. I used to do some backpacking and would be interested to know about your backpacking equipment.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

That's cool Steve!! I await the pics & your reports!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Sounds like a cool little journey for the two of you. And yes we will expect pictures.
By the way..."My daughter really wants to hit a summit via at least one rock slide". What does that mean?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

We have only climbed one mountain together and that was years ago in North Carolina...Kings Mountain where my grandmother lived. That was a lot of fun. She seems to be pretty excited about this trip too. I have shown her some pictures of the mountains and told her that these mountains are much bigger than what she climbed in the past. She still wants to go so we'll see what we're both made of.

If I grow some facial hair I may end up looking like Slag's Avatar. It was -2 degrees up there when I checked today. I sure hope it warms up in the peaks at least a little bit. We leave April 4 for the trip and we'll be heading to the Pittsburgh REI store between now and then so she can get some essentials that she doesn't have yet.

Pat...my equipment is anything but complete. I really want to get more gear for climbing - helmet, ropes, crampons (for ice) etc. What I currently have will suffice for spring, summer and late fall. My basic gear consists of a Gregory Baltoro internal frame pack, an Osprey day pack (for shorter trips), Zamberland boots, Merrell camp/water shoes (for crossing high creeks), Black Diamond Trekking poles (knee and ankle savers), Katadyn water filter, MSR Stove, Sierra Designs Sleeping bag, Mountain Hardware or Eureka Tents, Nalgene water Bottles, Soloist cookware, sleeping pad, freeze dried meals (not bad when you're starving), Water enhancers (I hate drinking plain water), Sylvan compass (and a backup), maps (of course), flashlight, extra bootlaces (I had to improvise a pair of laces last year), magnesium firestarter, lighter, waterproof matches, folding saw, leatherman, extra knife, extra clothes (absolutely no cotton, not even the socks or skivvies). I'm sure there are a few things I left out, but that is my basic gear. I may add a GPS before this trip too, I'm not sure yet. Blow the dust off your pack and gear...lets go hiking. I also have extra backpacks, a Kelty and an Eastern Mountain Sports pack.

It's funny how this stuff accumulates over the years :confused:

Coulter

Jimbo...It means she wants to go up the hard way. Heres a link of a slide show for Santanoni's Ermine Brook and Twin slides...or here is a quick pic -

https://picasaweb.google.com/104326342886107653436/ErmineBrookSlideTwinSlideTraverseMtAdamsJuly22232011?gsessionid=c3Hm59Bjz5XKWiNiYBpFeA

FinsnFur

Interesting. I was gonna say I think I'm too old for that stuff.
And then I seen the dude with white hair in that link.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Coulter

4 more days...woooo hoooo :dance: :dance: :dance: I'm getting the gear gathered and ready to pack up :biggrin:

iahntr

What an awesome trip! I'd be pumped too!
Scott

FinsnFur

Be smart and be safe Steve.
Did I just sound like one of our Dads there?  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers