• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Need Some Help

Started by FOsteology, March 20, 2012, 08:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Several gentleman from another Forum and myself donated some gear and equipment to a deserving youth, to help him acquire what he needs to continue with his hunting and outdoor pursuits.

The generosity has snowballed, and we are now seeking another young man or woman that could benefit.

If anyone knows of a deserving youth, plus do not hesitate to contact me and put forth their name and situation for consideration.

Only real requirement is that the young man or woman nominated must exhibit a need for assistance, as well as a genuine desire of the outdoors. By need, it could be a single parent household. A family hit extremely hard by the down turn in the economy and absolutely no way for the family to afford to equip their son or daughter for hunting.

The lucky young man or woman selected will be asked to submit pictures during the hunting season showing them utilizing their equipment, and hopefully have deer or other game in the picture!  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Fos,

No one comes to mind, but this is a REALLY great thing for you and the others to do.

Jerry

Ladobe

No one here either, but a very noteworthy cause FOs, and one to be very proud of taking part in.   Been involved in helping kids out before a few times myself with firearms, other outdoor gear and other interests items, and families who couldn't even put enough food on the table.   The personal gratification far more than outweighs your time and money, but not as much as putting the smile on their faces that can't be washed off.   My hats off to you...   :highclap:

The dark side, which I'm sure you are aware of...

A few folks take advantage no matter how stringent within reason you try to assure the donations actually go where they were intended.    Literally impossible if its not for a local child.   A dad can use it, his 2 year old child can't types of things.   It's sad, but its the world we live in now where a persons word is not what it was in days of yore.

I could relate instances I was involved in where similar happened.   I won't except to say that if the word gets out the families end up paying for the gear many times over in lost relationships, and both in business and unfortunately for the children at school if a local gift.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FinsnFur

Mannn I WISH I could think of someone,,, cause this is above and beyond.
I suppose it's a blessing in disguise not to know any in the described situation though.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hidehunter

I cant think of anybody offhand either but this is just flat-out awesome!  I have alot of respect for you and the others that are involved.
Denver                                           

Carolina Coyote

Great Idea, one place to look for deserving kids would be the children of service members that have lost their lives serving their country. CC

riverboss

Fos you the man :highclap: I hope you find someone.

slagmaker

might have a line on a boy that lost everything in the storms that passed through here a couple weeks ago. got a friend doing some checking now
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

Slag,

I'm sorry to hear of the misfortune of the young man and his family. Please keep me posted, and we'll see about adding this young man to the list.

FOsteology

The first recipient of the "Deserving Youth" project has been awarded. Even had enough left over loot to equipped his two brothers with some goodies.

QuoteThank you for the gifts that I have received. I loved the binoculars that I had received. The backpack was great. The Leatherman’s tool was awesome. I am pretty sure that the first-aid kit, emergency whistle, and the emergency blanket will be useful, though I hope that I don’t have to use them. The skinning knife and flashlight will really come in handy. The sling will put to good use. And I can’t thank the person who had given me the .308 lever action enough. I promise to keep all of these items in their top condition. There is not much else I can say, so I hope you all can understand how thankful I really am. I truly can’t put it into words. The best that I can do is thank you all very, very much.

Sincerely,
Coy

QuoteTo all that were involved in the overwhelmingly generous gifts to my sons, THANK YOU! It's always a tough spot when you want to be able to do things for your children and you're not able to. Such as provide them with life skills (hunting) that will benefit with them forever and the means to carry them out.
I would never have asked for anyone to do this for my boys, I'm just not that type of person. However, when Matt explained the situation to me and he had thought of Coy (my oldest son), I was very honored that he felt my son was deserving.
You have /will receive a thank you letter from Coy himself, but I thought I might just share a little more of the young man behind the scenes. Coy is a very considerate young man, always willing to help out others and also puts others before him self. He has a plan of what he wants to do in life, which includes serving the USA in the Marines (not 100% confirmed)  when he graduates from high school. And, although he does complain occasionally, he puts his family first and really does try to be a positive role model.
This past year has been especially tough. I was unable to do anything for him for his birthday, and only 4 days later we had to put our dog, his best friend of 14 years, down. This won't bring our beloved family member back, but it will leave a very positive memory of this year etched in his mind, and the minds of my other two sons, forever!
Thank you to everyone who participated in creating these everlasting memories! Thank you for the showing that even when the world seems to be getting worse there are upstanding citizens from near and far that do make it a better place to live. I will never be able to thank you for all of your generosity you have shown towards my family, but I will do my best to make sure they grow up to be upstanding citizens like all of you have proven to be.
Sincerely,

Tamara

FOsteology

The second recipient of the "Deserving Youth" project has been awarded. Awaiting pictures as the young lad's father will pick-up the tacticool .22LR when he returns from Afghanistan within the next couple weeks.

We're still accepting nominations. The "Deserving Youth" project has two more rifles and lots of gear and equipment (scopes, binoculars, ammunition, knife, back-packs, etc.) to award.  :biggrin: 

FinsnFur

I dont know the whole story on the youths being mentioned, but I got to say, this has got to be one of the best things to ever happen to them. Bless their hearts.
A huge kudos to you Fos and everyone that is involved in this. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

:highclap: :highclap: :highclap:Nice job Fos!!!

coyote101

Your generosity shines through again Fo's.  :bowingsmilie: You are the man and I applaud you.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

iahntr

Scott

HuntnCarve

Not much I can add that the others haven't said.  Proud to call you a friend FOs.  You all certainly made a mark on that young man and his family. :congrats:

Dave

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FOsteology

Gentlemen, much obliged. However, I'm just one small cog in the grand scheme in assisting these families.

Again, I implore the FnF membership. If you know a deserving young lad or lass, please do NOT hesitate to contact me via PM to submit their name.

Hawks Feather

Fos,

I have said it before, but it needs to be said again.  You are doing great things for youth. You have said that there are others involved in this project, but I am pretty sure that you have ridden solo on several other similar projects.  Every project needs a leader and I think that you are probably the leader in this one as well.  For all of this, I commend you.

It also has to be a great feeling when gifts like these are appreciated by not only the recipient, but also the parent.  You will probably never know what a difference this will make in Coy's life.  Things like this can have a tremendous effect on people's lives.

So once again, THANKS for all that you are doing.

Jerry

Frogman

Fos,

WOW!!  What you are doing is AWESOME!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!