• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Still striving...

Started by Arkyyoter, March 12, 2007, 03:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

Here is yet another attempt at an entirely "squared away" call. I spent a ton of time on it, and it almost made it....and yet, it has a flaw :(

Somehow, during the glue-up, it managed to get a breath of air....while it is still seamless, and it is certainly not a structural defect, nor a performance defect... it negates the possibility of the call being what it was intended...I wanted it to have zero visible flaws, and accordingly, it is a failure.

It is none the less, a very interesting little call....these little calls sound very good, and are a joy to handle. It has a butterscotch colored cow horn body, and a black cow horn mouth...it is turned inside and out...

Here are pics of it inside and out...

I will keep trying.....

Joe

THO Game Calls

Randy Lowery (RJL54) has this in his sig line on CCO

"Craftsmen of old intentionally left a mistake in their work, knowing only God can make something perfect. I find this practice easy to imitate."

Don't sweat the petty stuff.  Neat looking call.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

rjl54

Thank you for noticing, Al !  I plagerized that line from something I read when I was putting together flintlock rifles.  All those pretty inlays you see on the old rifles- many were put there to hide a mistake.

Arky, I've been around bow-builders, call-builders, rifle-builders and bricklayers.  Thay all have one thing in common; no matter how good thier product, they still know of some little flaw or something they wished they had done different.  Doesn't keep us from  'striving' like you say.

Looks to me like a dandy little call, something to be proud of.

Randy

Hawks Feather

If I only sold or give away the calls that I have made that I couldn't find a flaw in, I would have every call I have made.  That is what keeps us  going - always thinking that the perfect call could be the next one.  And knowing that one slip or unnoticed mark  will keep it from being that perfect call.

Jerry

keekee

Same here! Every call I turn has something I dont like or want to make better! I would hang that call on my lanyard any day! Or add it to my collection! If we stop trying to make things better? Then we dont get any better!

Brent