• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

fancy call contest

Started by quackerstacker, March 12, 2007, 06:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackerstacker

is there any interest in the predator call makers having there own division in the fancy call contest that ccaa puts on at the st. charles show? if so how about some input in what you would like to see. would anyone be interested in coming to the business meeting and sharing there input? lets here it fellas.

steve
my name is steve and im addicted to bonkers

FinsnFur

I'll come if I can bring one of Al's calls  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Sure! Would love to compete! If I new more about it!

Brent

Hawks Feather

Not being the contestant type of person, I have no knowledge of St. Charles.  Where is it?  When is it?  Do you have to attend to enter?  What is the entry fee? Etc. Etc. Etc.

O.K. so I have real mixed thoughts about this.  Like I said, I am not much into competion and would rather have someone (other than a judge) look at my call and say that they like it or would rather pass on it.  But I also think that the only way that the predator calls will become more accepted, and not looked upon by some people as something that was left by a dog in the yard and drug in on the sole of a shoe, is if they are shown.  In reading (I know that is not the same as talking with the builders, but just reading) the duck and turkey call forums, there doesn't seem to be the sharing that the predator call makers have.  When questions are asked like "how do you do _______" there seem to be some long delays in many replies and the replies that do show up are ususally to just buy some of my _______ fill in the blank with wood, slate, glass, aluminum, etc.  I have yet to see any referrals to a site like Al has where EVERYTHING is shared.  I am relatively new to call making, but I have tried to help out several of the "even newer than me" people that are getting started.  When I was getting started Al and Joe gave me suggestions on ways to improve.  Al, Joe, and Rick even sent me "care packages" of wood to try and books that told how to turn.  I don't know, but somehow I don't think that is happening in the competition areas.  I know there are some duck and turkey call builders out there that would help a newbie, I just don't know if they would give up all their secrets.  Having been in a couple of endeavors (like raising and showing birds) where there was competition I know that winning is followed by sales.  I also know that the competion greatly hindered sharing.  I guess being willing to give help, like I have been given by other call builders, is what I like about predator calls.  I would hate to see that change.

Just my 2ยข,

Jerry

P.S.  I am not trying to start any wars with duck and turkey call builders.  I am just giving my impressions from my limited view of this topic.

quackerstacker

hey guys, here is the web addy for ccaa http://www.ccaacalls.org  at this current time it is based mostly on duck calls.  anyone can enter any type of game call any time.  the entry fee is $10.  you do not have to be present...you can mail in your entries. 

st. charles is a suburb of chicago.  the dates of the get-together is the 25-28 of april.  the actual show is that friday the 27 and saturday the 28.  right now everyone is lumped into one grouping but in 2008 we are going to try and segregate the various calls, predator, duck, turkey, etc.  we need feedback from everyone to see if there are enough people interested in proceeding in this way.  there are tons of things to look at, people to talk to and calls to be bought!  it is a great show and a great time!  let me know if you need any more information!  thanks steve

BigB

Hey Steve,

Do you have to be a member of ccaa to get in to the show and just browse around?

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

quackerstacker

the show is actually put on buy the midwest decoy collectors assoc. they charge like 5.00 to get in the door. dont let the name decoy throw you. if it was made for hunting or fishing it probably has been at this show. the call contest is just a tiny fraction of what goes on.

steve