• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Did I ever show you guys these? "Big Slide"

Started by Coulter, July 17, 2012, 06:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I was up in the Adirondacks at the end of May with some friends for a turkey hunt. I decided to venture off to the High Peaks Region instead for a mountain climb while they hunted. I tackled Big Slide (4140') and man that was fun...

Here's part of the trail up over The Brothers on the way to Big Slide, look close and you can see the yellow blazes that mark the trail...

Looking back down...

Ahhh, memories. Looking across the valley you can see most of the Wolfjaws that my daughter and I climbed back in April. The cloud cover is pretty likely to be present where I'm headed as well...

Here's a nice little ledge that you don't want to venture to close too. I was right about the cloud cover, Its a long drop from here I'm sure of that...

And another ledge...this one is actually what gives Big Slide it's name. Just a sheer rock wall, that shows the steepness of this mountain in some areas...It was really windy on this ledge, I'll attach a video clip when I'm done here.

This is a ladder placed in some locations to keep climbers off the alpine vegetation. There is only 85 acres of alpine growth left in NY state.

And the summit of Big Slide Mountain at last...

I got a little dirty on this venture...

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Coulter

coyote101

Great pictures Steve.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Looks like a lot of fun (and work).

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

I dont think you did show them to us, but I'm glad you did now.
I might not have that kind of climbing left in me, but it does look like it'd be fun.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Yes, it is a lot of work to get to the top. But it's definitely fun work - 4 down 42 to go. I'm just hoping I can manage the other 42 Jim...my knee hurts for a good three days after each climb from the pounding descents. That and I rolled my ankle on the last climb too. That kind of sucked.

My daughter and I climbed up Sawteeth a couple of weeks ago too. I'll post those pictures after work tonight.

Steve

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

HaMeR

That is really cool Steve!! You're gonna laugh at those LBL hills I tell ya!!!   :laf: :laf:

About 20 seconds into the video it looks like you have the camera tilted. That is a straight drop off darn near!!  :sad3: :sad3:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Hey, I still have LBL on the calendar man...I'm still shooting for it and will hopefully be laughing at the hills down there.

That is a very steep drop from the ledge I'm on...the wind made it a bit tricky to stand there. I had to lean back against the rock a couple times to keep from being blown into the abyss below. Good times man - Good times :biggrin:

I'm working those other pics from Sawteeth Mountain now...Oh and I understand you like waterfalls :innocentwhistle:

Steve