• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Big buck with a little bow

Started by Spike, October 21, 2012, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Two or three days before the big hunt, my dad and I set up two tree stands about thirty yards apart, in one of my dad's buddy's spots.  That night we hunted out of it.  I waited and waited and didn't see anything.  Then at last light I saw a huge buck.  I didn't get to look through the binoculars because he just appeared out of no where and I had to get ready for the shot, but I just knew he was huge.  After he appeared he started to walk the trail he showed up on.  I kind of knew it was farther than what I was practicing, but I couldn't resist the opportunity.  I had my bow, aimed a bit high, came to full draw, and shot.  The arrow went just over his back.  A clean miss.  Luckily he didn't catch on or smell me, so I was hoping I would get another chance.   Monday night we went out again and while dad was strapping me in the safety harness I saw something that looked like a horse.  It was him.  Dad was handcuffed on the pegs and strapped himself in.  We watched him for about twenty to thrity minutes before he dissapeared into a thicket on our side of the trail.  We waited another half an hour before we saw some movement in the brush.  He must have been grazing in there, but we just couldn't see him.  A couple minutes later we saw another two bodies coming down the trail.  One was a real dinky four point and the other was a nice wide six or eight.  They were up grazing on the far side of the trail for about fifteen to twenty minutes before they came down towards us.  At the same time we saw the big one come strait twords us.  He was coming through the woods.  When the wide six or eight came into shooting range I had to pass him because the real big buck was coming into shooting range.  This time I had the cross bow in my hands and my bow up on the bow hanger.  The scrub four was coming twords the big buck and they tickeled there antellers.  At that time my dad checked the wind and it was blowing right twords them.  They stopped fighting and were about to come by us when they smelled us and started walking away.  There was a little branch in my way, so I couldn't shoot.  They walked away and we decided to go home so we wouldn't disturb anything else.  Wednesday we went there again.  That day we got there earlier, moved the stand closer to the trail and dad got into his tree thirty yards away.  I didn't see anything until about five forty.  I saw a fox and it came right under my stand.  I saw him again about twenty minutes later.  At about six fifteen to six twenty I saw a rack, and right away I knew it was him.  He started down the trail that was about ten to fifteen yards away.  The wind was blowing perfect and he wasn't worried at all.  I was geting all nervous that I was going to miss or he was going to run and I would never see him again, but I blew that over.  Here he came, head behind a tree, so I went into full draw and made a doe bleet.  He didn't here it so I made it a bit louder, but he wouldn't stop.  I had to take the shot before he got in to the thicket.  Thud, he dropped right in his tracks.  I spinned him.  He couldn't move or do anything other than lean up on his front legs.  My dad signaled me to hold up, climbed down the tree that he was in and came over to me.  He finished him off with the cross bow.  I told him not to look at the rack and he didn't.  When I got down I ran right over to him and looked and counted his points.  There were six on the left and four on the right.  Ten points, this might be the biggest buck that I will ever shot in my life.  We gutted him and halled him out.  At my house we have a walk in box, so luckily I could wait for a good day to take some pictures.

Here are some of my favorite shots.

code

Nice deer!! Did you gut and skin it yourself?
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

coyotehunter_1

:bowingsmilie:

You sure worked for that buck. I'm glad it all came together for you and thanks for taking us along on your hunt.  :congrats:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Spike

Code, I didn't gut this one and its still sitting in the cooler so we haven't skinned it but I do help skin and butcher. I did gut the last one but dad thought I might get this one mounted.

HuntnCarve

It's about time you posted this tale of the big buck Dante.  I've been about busting a gut waiting to read about it here since you guys called me that night.  :laf:  Anyway, way to go young man!  You know I am so proud of you!  I just had the feeling that you and this buck would cross paths again.  And to take it with your bow :highclap:. A fine story all around.  Well worth the wait. :congrats:

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hidehunter

:yoyo:  :yoyo:  :highclap:  :highclap: Now thats what Im talking about right there.  Great Buck Buddy and you earned him. I hope he is going on the wall.  Sounds like you have a sweet trail your hunting on there.  Love the pics to...I have never seen one from the back like that...I really like it.  Congrats on an Awesome Deer!!!

Dont ya just LOVE Bowhunting...
Denver                                           

Hidehunter

Just wanted to add that he is at least a 3.5 to 4.5 year old Buck...A definate Big Mature animal.  They are not easy to fool and especially not easy to take with a Bow.  That really says something about the hunter.  Way to go Dante!!!
Denver                                           

Spike

Thanks Hidehunter.  That's what my dad thought about how old he was.  I do LOVE bowhunting and I am sooo glad I didn't shoot him on that second night when I was holding my dad's crossbow. 

coyote101

Great story, great deer, great job young man.  :yoyo: :yoyo: You are my idol.  :bowingsmilie:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Ho! LEE! CRAP! Dante! That thing is huge.
You earned that bad boy in so many ways buddy. Way to go! :congrats:

There is one thing I think I would have done differently though. I would have missed  :doh2:
Again nice job buddy. Man that thing is big!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Congrats Dant!  That is one incredible bruiser.  I wish I had a scale for it as I know it's over 200 dressed.
And what a fun time we both had trying to pattern this guy, and lucky it worked out the way it did.  I thought the game was over after the second hunt when it seemed to wind us (At least we think it was the same buck - I never got a good look at it as I was suffering hanging onto the tree with most all my weight on my rt leg on a tree rung).
He's 19" outside spread, and 17" inside, and just heavy all the way out.  He'll post those measurements a little later.
Well, once again Dant, I'm proud of Ya!  :yoyo:
Dad

KySongDog

Super nice! Congrats!!   :congrats:

QuoteTen points, this might be the biggest buck that I will ever shot in my life.

I got a feeling there's an even bigger one in your future.  Keep after 'em.    :yoyo:

Todd Rahm

Hawks Feather

You sure have every right to be EXTREMELY proud of that buck.

Jerry

Okanagan

Wow!  What a buck!  Great story and some excellent hunting and shooting.That's bigger than any whitetail I've ever gotten.  Good for you!

riverboss

bigben

Nice buck. Im jealous. Good job
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bambam

HaMeR

Way to go Dante!!!! You sure laid the smack down on that big fella!! Congratulations on a fine hunt & a great story my Friend!!!!!!!!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

shaddragger

:yoyo: :highclap: That is one AWESOME story Dante! Congrats on the monster buck AND on the perseverance it took to get him!

P.S. Great photos Dad! That view from behind is cool!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen