• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Last of the WildCalls2k pics for now...

Started by Ladobe, March 18, 2007, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladobe

A few more pictures of WildCalls I've made... last ones for now.

First two are built on the highest grades of what is loosely called Red and Black Palm.  Both colors of wood comes from several species of palms, so the generic name is somewhat misleading.   Most of what is sold in this country comes from SE Asia.   I build my calls from old stock of Latan Palm (now threatened) from the Mascarene Islands, and Normanby Palm from Queensland because I think their woods is the best of the best in red and black palm woods. 

First of these two is Spalted Red Leaf Maple Burl, second is Bigleaf Maple Root Burl and both woods are from the PNW.   Represent both versions of my signature pattern (some folks don't like a flared bell on their calls).

Just for fun...  At the place where I used to go out on the desert behind my house to take pictures of my calls, I was often accompanied by a herd of "wild photog critics".   They were great company although always in the way, stepping on and knocking things over like my tripod and camera, munching on the background bush I had a call propped up on for a picture, etc and wanting to be in every picture I took.   Often I'd have to use the timer on the camera so I could shove them out of the way before the shutter tripped.  I guess they liked my calls, because I do have a couple of them with teeth marks in them now.
:madd:

Ladobe

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Todd Rahm

What else can I say about the calls.  :shrug:  :innocentwhistle: :wink:  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

Thos critters are tasty by the way.  :wink:

Hawks Feather

You are going to have to quit posting pictures that have any burl woods in them.  First off I really am starting to like the burls and second the quality of the burls I have are not quite the same as yours.

Jerry

Arkyyoter

I am now looking at your call pictures with only one eye....I am afraid I will be struck blind from looking at such wood and workmanship, and don't want to chance losing both eyes....though it would ALMOST be worth it  :wink:  :bowingsmilie:

Joe

bearmanric

AH AH AH AH AH awsome .incredible  that palm wood take's lot's of sanding nice. i'm going to turn some burl today. wont be as nice but i love the burl's. Ladobe i have cherry burl from Michigan very pretty stuff you have any picture of cherry burl. pleasure seeing your call's. Rick

Ladobe

Jerry - 

Exactly why I stopped buying my woods from stateside hardwood suppliers a long time ago.   The highest grades are usually culled off by the sawyers who harvests the wood where it grows, and befriending a few of them gets you some of that culled wood.   Much more expensive with import duties and shipping, but that's what it takes to get the best woods.

Rick -

The palms are very heat sensitive, so you have to guard against cracking.   Red palm is the easiest of the two and I usually get by with only working up to 600 grit on it.   Black palm is another story as it has a much more open grain.   To get a really good finish I have wet sanded up to 1200 grit on it.   Hint: Most folks sand at way too high of speed on their lathes.   Defeats the ability of the sanding medium to do its job efficiently, clean itself, and remain cool.   And you should be building your finish by working up through each grade in steps from coarse to fine.   Don't skip any and each step will cut cleaner, take less time and give you a final finish to die for.

I haven't use any cherry wood in my calls for a long time; not since I made my open reed toneboards out of wood.   Cherry was one of the woods I used for them because of its natural ability to hold profile when subjected to lots of moisture.   Haven't turned call body's with it simply because I never found a reliable source with good quantities of highly figured wood.   Most cherry wood is rather Plain Jane.

Joe -

What can I say for the nice comments except... thanks again.   Better start practicing your braille pard.   :wink:

Todd -

So do all the folks in AK like to chew arse?    :roflmao:

L.

USN 1967-1971

bearmanric

thank you for the tip's learn something new everyday. yes i have plain cherry then i have the upper pennisula michigan cherry burl. it has nice figure. i'll turn a call soon out of it. thank again. Rick

Brad H

Ladobe,

Seems to me like you've been ahead of this callmaking game for many years...an understatement, I know. But it becomes more apparent all the time.

Those calls are second to none.

Brad

Todd Rahm

Larry, up here we'll chew just about anything that can be skinned.  :biggrin:

BigB

Ladobe,

I am in awe every time I see one of your calls.  Every one of your calls is not just a call, but a whole story wrapped up in a call, starting from the very place that the wood was born.  That just makes the call even better.  I need to quit drooling every time I see one, cause hopefully soon, one will be posted for sale.  And I hope that I beat Todd to it!!

Very beautiful artwork.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

bowjunkie

man what talent you have those calls are outstanding in every way no wonder I can't get anyone to part with one at any price lol fantastic craftsmanship Larry

Ladobe

Thanks gentlemen.

Rick - Looking forward to seeing pictures of your calls from Burl Cherry.   Bet they will be killers.

You're embarrassing me Brad.   I'm not really anymore talented than anybody else.   It's just if you do something enough times long enough you finally get it figured out good enough to pass.

BigB - The exact environment a plant grows in goes a long ways in determining what the wood characteristics will be when harvested both in appearance and tonal qualities.   Why there is such a big difference in same species woods from different countries, locals, etc.   I've just been at it long enough to know where the best woods come from for each species, and have the resources to get many of them.

Ed - Todd probably knows more about that one than anybody else I'm afraid.   Unfortunately I had to leave a lot of people hanging on a waiting list when I had to shut the wood shop down after the fall in 2004.

L.
USN 1967-1971

keekee

Larry,

Awesome Pic's! Your craftsmanship is a true wonder!

Brent