• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What do you think?

Started by Hawks Feather, March 18, 2007, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I have been working on this call off and on for about a week.  Work a little on it, work on something else, and then come back to it again and work a little more.  I had it finished and just wasn't happy with the gloss finish so off it came.  I made a couple of calls the last two weeks where I used an oil and wax finish and was pretty pleased with it, so now this call has a finish of oil and a thin wax overcoat to protect it.  It is made from Amboyna burl (not the best piece in the world, but decent) and has Blackwood ends.  I haven't quite decided what to do with this one yet, but thought I would at least share the picture.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry

Ladobe

Has great color balance Jerry, and is built in a pattern I know will be comfortable to use in the field.  :wink:   Looks great to me.    If it talks as good as it looks, you've got a real winner pard.

IMO, gloss finishes don't belong on predator calls.   I guess I feel that way because every call I build is meant to be a working call.   Oil and wax does make a great finish that can be easily buffed to knock down the shine a little.   It will have to be renewed from time to time depending on use, but it is a great finish if done with non toxic products.

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

THO Game Calls

Pretty darn elegant if you ask me.  The bell end looks to have a sharper line than some of your other calls, and I like it. 

Very very nice!

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Jerry,

I'd have to say my favorite thing about that call is the transition where the black wood and burl meet on the top, on the high side of the lanyard groove. The tansition is flawless! I also like the flare in the black wood at the bell of the call.  The wood combo contrasts great with an awesome grain pattern in the burl. The finish looks perfect to these eyes!  You want to know what I think?  I think that is an absolutly beautiful call with obvious attention to detail in it.  Truely awesome!!!

Thanks for sharring,

Joey 
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

Brad H

I think it looks great.

I really like the Blackwood ends.

Brad

WhiteHare

You never cease to amaze-even me.

Very nice work.

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Todd Rahm

Jerry, looks darn good to me, and it is a great combo of woods with ebony located and shaped to really accent the call and make it "pop".  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

If'n ya figure out what a want to do with it let me know.  :wink:

This is a little off subject, but it popped in my head when I saw this call, but have ever thought of a wood burning logo................ah lets say like a "Hawk in flight" or a "Perched Hawk"?

quackerstacker

todd, slowly back away from that call i already have my eye on it. lol.... :eyebrownod:

steve
my name is steve and im addicted to bonkers

FinsnFur

Jerry you were the topic of conversation the other night.  :innocentwhistle:
Talking with someone about your calls, the signature design, etc. A lot of the reputable call makers have a design or style that sorts them from the masses.
You have a clear distinctive design that says "LATTA" from a mile away.  :eyebrownod:

And then we decided that you must have big hands, because your calls posses a trait that combines durability in girth and beauty all in one. They fit a hand extremely well.

Nice job on Amboyna burl by the way.

Ya hear that Todd, Amboyna burl....with Blackwood ends.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Hey Todd,

What do you think about a really nice piece of Cocobolo between a couple of pieces of Blackwood?  If you don't know you will just have to wait till one of these days when you are at work and I get it done.  Then I can post  it up and you will have to wait till you get home to see what it looks like.   :roflmao:

Jerry

Todd Rahm

I think you call makers are in shanagins to post pics while I'm at work.  :biggrin:  But, I may have solved that little problem.  :wink:

Quoteposses a trait that combines durability in girth and beauty all in one. They fit a hand extremely well.

Jim, you talkin calls or your high school sweeties?  :roflmao:

FinsnFur

Yeah , I went back and read that and I thought Geeeeez uzzz I sound like a sick bastard  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Arkyyoter

Now I will make ya'll jealous...MMMuuuHHHhahahahahahahahah.....not only do I have the first call Jerry ever did/sold...but also his first open reed and his first call in collaboration with another builder.....HHhahahahahaha...MMMuuuHHHHhahahahahahahah!!!!!

Joe

Bob D

Sharp looking call. Looks good to me.

Hawks Feather

Thanks for all the comments on the call.  I am pleased with the way it turned out, and will try to make a few more that are even better.

Jim,

My hands are really not all that big, but I do like to get a grip on a call.  Actually, I think it is more the style, shape, or design of the call that fits your hand than it is the actual size of the call.  I made a call from Dogwood a ways back that was from 1 1/4 inch stock and it had about the same feel.

Joe,

I think two of those three need to be returned to be "updated".  Al also has a call that should be "recycled".  I look back at those first calls and think how could I have sold that?  Then I remember that people were being kind to me.  It has also made me aware of the responsibility that call makers have to pass on that kindness if at all possible.

Jerry

vvarmitr

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 18, 2007, 07:32:52 PMYou have a clear distinctive design that says "LATTA" from a mile away.  :eyebrownod:

How true, how true!
Beautiful call Jerry. One I'd be sure proud to own. Ya even got Todd & Steve fighting over it, WOW! :laf:

THO Game Calls

Sorry - You are not getting my call back LOL.   It is priceless and one day I am going to "knock" into the wifes curio cabinate and break all those trinkets and then that call will have a true place of honor.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

keekee

I think you do very good work! The call I just got in the mail had very good lines, the craftsmanship was great and the finish was awesome!

That call looks very nice the Black wood sets the hole call off! And the lines are great!

Brent

Arkyyoter

He does wonderful work....I, like Al....would in no way turn loose of mine!!

Joe