• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Im sick

Started by riverboss, November 16, 2012, 05:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

I shot a buck this morning i mean a buck of the life time buck ! I watched him fall at the shot his back legs just collapsed and he  hit the ground and tried to raise his head and just fell over on his side. It looked like a spine shot, It was a long shot as i realy like long range shooting, I knew he was a monster but after he hit the ground i wasnt prepared for how big he realy was. I kept the gun on him for about 5 minutes and he didnt move  :whew I called work and told them i was going to need some help and headed over to see him, The shot was over 400 yrds from the top of a hill i made it about 50 yrds and stopped to look again threw the binos and he was laying on his belly with his head up  :huh: I  couldnt get a shot because his body was hidden in the grass after i had lost some elivation, I took off as fast as i could go to get another  shot in him which made me loose sight of him for awhile. When i got there he was gone :madd: no  blood or anything, after about 200 yrds i found a spot were he had bleed about 3 ft long before he went into another field then nothing. I went and got my dog Spot and we looked for 3 hrs but never found anymore blood. so i think he crossed over the hill onto another farm that im going to check tomorrow. I thought he was at least 160in untill i saw him on the ground now i dont know :shrug: and im afraid to say how big i think he was out louad because i might be wrong.  Sorry for the rambeling im just sick to my stomach.

KySongDog

Sorry to hear that, Dan.    Losing any deer is bad enough but even more so when he is a big one.   Hope you find him.  The meat is no good now but the rack can be salvaged.   

Years ago I had a friend who was hunting with his dad.  His dad shot a big buck with a 7mm mag.  The deer was on the ground with his antlers buried in the dirt.  My friend and his dad went to get their 4 wheeler to drag him out.  When they got back 15 minutes later the deer was gone.  They were both sick. 

Hidehunter

That would definatly make a man sick.  Hope ya find him tomorrow.  Keep us posted.
Denver                                           

iahntr

That's a tough one for sure ! Sorry to hear it.
Hope you can still come up with him somehow.
Scott

FinsnFur

eeehh that would be tough for anyone.
I'm surprised Spot didnt help you kick something up.
It'd be interesting to see where he was hit that dropped him on his side, head down and he still pulled through to get up and disappear like that.

Good luck and hopefully you can find him yet.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

I searched all day and found nothing, i know the shot was high i guess thats why he wasnt bleeding. I might not of had enough energy at that range to get it done with the bullet i was useing.

shaddragger

:holdon: Watched Hank Parker go through the same thing a couple of years ago. The buck nearly did a backflip after the shot, and during the hi-fives you hear the cameraman say,"Wait he's getting up!" The way that deer hit the ground I couldn't believe what happened next. He pans around to show the buck staggering then running off! They looked all week to no avail.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

riverboss

I shot a big doe this morn at 150yrds put it in the shoulder she ran about 75 yrds before going down, She had a quarter size hole on the exit and i never found a spot of blood anywhere :shrug:  I dont like these nosler accubonds .

bigben

Have you tried the berger vld hunting bullets?
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

riverboss

No i  havent, i always shot nbt but i heard they had changed them so last year i went Hornady sst but i ran out and all i could find was the accubonds. Are they good bullets?

bigben

I havent used them yet but i recently bought a 6.5x284 and am shooting them outta that. A lot of guys shooting long range like em because they reliably open at longer ranges compared to other bullets. They will definately have a higher bc then the noslers but you might have a harder time loading them with the type of ogive they have compared to the noslers.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

riverboss

Thanks i will look into it. I might have to get me a 7mm stw and skin them as i shoot them.