• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Proud of young hunter for NOT taking a shot

Started by Okanagan, December 16, 2012, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Just got off the phone with Grandson, Code, who told me about his archery antlerless elk hunt Thurs. through Sat.  He saw lots of elk, made several stalks, and passed a shot at a cow at 33 yards.  A thin screen of brush was between him and the cow with one small hole through.  He decided not to take the shot and risk wounding.

Bravo!  :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats:

With his bow he killed four grouse in two days while hunting in Sept., nailed a mallard on the water with a broadhead at 40 yards in Nov. and put three arrows into a 2.5 inch group at 80 yards recently, plus double lunged a blacktail doe at 25 yards early in the deer season:  All the more reason to be proud of judgment to go with the shooting ability.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Good job Code, :congrats: and whoever instilled his hunting ethic.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

code

All the credit should go to my Dad, Grandpa and Uncle. I will see if we can get some pics of the hunt on here.
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

KySongDog

Congrats to Code.  You have learnt at an early age that hunting is not solely about killing something. 

Hawks Feather

Good job.  I would be proud to hunt with you.

Jerry

Okanagan

Code sent me some pics to post but I'm at work and probably won't get to post them until tonight some time.

Teaser:  he sent a pic of seven bull elk together in a bachelor herd!

Dave

Code, good job on knowing when to hold off on a shot.   :congrats:

Okanagan

Pics from Code's elk hunt last week.  Bachelor herd of bulls in first two photos -- spotted during an antlerless only season!

Snowing sideways. 

Western Washington State at low elevation

Okanagan

Hey Code, tell us more about the pics.  How close were you to the herd of bull elk?  The blurry photo looks like a hand held telephoto.  Was the game moving in that snow storm?

HaMeR

It takes discipline to not take that shot Code. Well done for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Thanks for sharing the pics too.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FOsteology

Refreshing to hear some of our younger generations exhibit some discipline and responsibility.  :congrats:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com