• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Quail Hunt

Started by Carolina Coyote, December 23, 2012, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Just thought I would post some Pictures of the Quail Hunt I went on last week for those that are interested.

This was the dogs first point of the day

Guys walking in for the flush

Birds up and flying

My Friend Sam was playing backup and one of the Birds flew back over the second Team and he scored.

The Guides rig with one of Team #2 and Spanky Sitting on the viewing seat, Spanky provider the commentary to let every one know who  missed and I think he had more fun than anyone.

We had Six hunters so some rode on the trailer.

One of the Black Labs that did the retrieving, there was two of them and they would load up between Points to ride, really enjoyed watching them work.

The other Lab and his riding position, these dog were very well trained . You can see the PVC pipe on top of the dog box with the tube haning down to give the Dogs a drink of water.

Another Point and notice even one of the Labs. This is classic and I think I enjoyed watching the Dogs more than anything. They were on a single.

Everyone grinning and laughing at Spanky and his commentary, if some one missed he let everyone know, he was just besides himself all day.

The Bounty, that we will enjoy at the Hunt Club fried and with gravy and biscuits. Don't know about you guys but can't think of anything better.

Our Guide and a Super guy.

This is a fun trip to spend with friends and, we plan to do this on an annual basis . cc

FinsnFur

That looked sounded like it was a lot of fun. Was it through an outfitter or just a bunch friends getting together?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

CC, looks like you all had a fine hunt.  Yep, it's always a pleasure to hunt behind well trained dogs. :eyebrownod:
My dad was an avid quail and grouse hunter. In his time dad raised and trained some of the finest bird dogs found anywhere. His dogs were sold and shipped all across the country, often to be used on hunting plantations like the one you described.

Your post brings back fond memories of days long past, that country looks like some we hunted in Georgia... excellent quail habitat.  :highclap:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

HuntnCarve

Looks like a great time was had by all Carl. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Dave

Carolina Coyote

Yes Jim this is an outfitter, his place is about a 5 minute drive from the Wanderosia, all the Hunters are friends that we hunt with, Coyote 101 you are exactly right it is in Georgia the Guide also has a meat Processing Plant and he Processes our Hogs, The Birds are Pen raised in the Dark and our guide says the  pen is so big the man takes his tractor  in  to plant food for the Quail, he raises 30 to 60,000 Quail a year. These Birds can fly and it can be a very humbling experience when its your time to shoot especially with Spanky around to remind everyone when they miss. :biggrin:  :biggrin: Its not really that expensive when you have 6 Hunters and everyone gets a  fair amount of time on the points ( Price depends on how many Birds you want put out.) If anyone was interested I could get more info. As Coyote 101 said it sure bring back a lot of memories and one of the most fun hunts I have ever been on. CC

HaMeR

Thanks for sharing that Carl!! You guys had a blast!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

CC, it looks like those guys have a good set up. :biggrin: :highclap:
Pen raised birds can fly as well as wild stock and are just as hard to hit. :wink: We produced and released any where from 2500-4000 Bobwhites per year for training purposes. The only down side to pen raised quail is that they will often hold flush longer. You sometimes have to nearly step on them to get then up or else shot over singles will run from the dogs more than wild birds. Running birds can really confuse some young dogs so much that it will break point and run in, flushing the bird(s) before the hunter can get in position to shoot. :doh2:

I loved to hunt behind a good pair of English Pointers but watching the little Britteny Spaniels do their thing was my favorite.  :eyebrownod:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

centerfire_223

Looks like fun, but the big question is... did you get us that property to call for predators? I bet with all of those extra quail running around the bobcats should be plentiful.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Hawks Feather

Looks like a good time and I too love watching a good dog work. 

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

Ronnie, I had talked with the owner last year and he said as long as he did not have a Hunt going on the day we wanted to hunt it would be ok. Did not see any Coyote sign but did see some Bobcat sign, It is ideal calling terrain, I may call him while down there this coming weekend to see if the offer still stands.cc