• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Euphemisms in each locality's weather forecasts

Started by Okanagan, January 30, 2013, 10:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Got to listening to a radio weatherman on the way to work and over three days got to chuckling.  Eskimos have a bunch of words for snow we're told.  We have ways of saying rain:

Showers
Flurries
Mixed flurries
Slushy rain
Soft rain
Extremely wet
Sun breaks
Heavier rain
Intermittent rain
Precipitation
Freezing level
Down pour
Light rain

And my favorite today:  "We will have to take our good weather in small doses.  Rain today tapering to cloudy this afternoon with rain starting again this evening.”

It is hard to hear your weather forecast with the ears of somebody from another part of the country but what weather terms do you have that would sound funny to anybody who is not local?

HaMeR

Oddly enough we get all that here in Ohio too.  :laf: :laf:  One TV weatherman here said we were just gonna have "sprizzle sprazzle showers off and on all day long".    :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Ladobe

A favorite is "mild".   Translated here that means less than 120 in the shade.

Another is "very cold".    Means getting down around 32 (which IS cold for us longtime desert rats).
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Okanagan

HaMer:  Sprizzle and sprazzle is a new one to me! 

What I didn't convey is that various terms for rain is all we hear as forecasts for weeks at a time and the forecaster is just trying to say it in different ways. 

Ladobe:  "mild" is under 120 !???    I was on the phone with a man in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan this morning where it was -38.  His furnace quit yesterday.   :argh: :doh2: