• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

One you might want to contact your representative to support

Started by Hawks Feather, January 31, 2013, 01:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

Latta Re-Introduces Legislation to Repeal Automatic Pay Adjustment for Members of Congress

Washington, DC, January 4, 2013

Today, Congressman Bob Latta (R-Bowling Green) introduced a bipartisan bill to repeal the automatic pay adjustment for Members of Congress.

“While hardworking families are cutting their own budgets and experiencing a decrease in their wages during these tough economic times, Congress should not receive an automatic pay increase,” said Latta.

The current law, which was enacted in 1989, established a formula for the automatic annual pay adjustment for Members of Congress, and goes into effect automatically unless Congress statutorily denies it. Congress last received a pay increase in January 2009.

“As our nation faces a crippling national debt and trillion dollar deficits, the pay raise for Members of Congress should not be automatic but rather any attempt to increase Member pay should be transparent to American taxpayers and receive a recorded vote,” Latta concluded.

There was a provision included in H.R. 8 (112th Congress) to prevent any cost-of-living adjustment to the pay for Members of Congress for the Fiscal Year 2013. Latta’s bill would permanently end the automatic increase in Member pay. Congressman Latta introduced similar legislation in the 112th Congress.

Since it was introduced by my Congressman, I will just tell him I support him for introducing it.

Jerry

Ladobe

Jerry,

I have a rock (actually a lot of them) in my garden that is 160 millions years old, a huge petrified chunk of a tree trunk, that I'd have a better chance of listening to anythning I have to say.

Just saying....  :rolleye:

Larry

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Hawks Feather

Larry,

I know what you mean.  It could pass the house, but doesn't stand a chance in the Senate.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 31, 2013, 01:52:19 PM
Since it was introduced by my Congressman, I will just tell him I support him for introducing it.

:eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 31, 2013, 10:41:26 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 31, 2013, 01:52:19 PM

:eyebrownod:

I will just tell him on Saturday when he brings his stock over for me to work on a little.

Jerry

Ladobe

Well, you could swing the vote maybe... tell him his stock portfolio may depend on it.    :eyebrow:   

The almighty buck always talks louder than words in todays world, especially with ticks, oops, politicians. 
USN 1967-1971

Hawks Feather

Larry,

My Congressman is my first cousin.  While not a Tea Party Republican, he is close.  So he is very conservative, a don't spend what you don't have, VERY pro gun, etc.  He is also very "by the book" so much so that he paid and social security for my daughter (and others) who baby sat with his girls when they were small. 

Jerry

Ladobe

Jerry,

I've known some exceptional politicians, was just a generalization.   :wink:

Even I  :shrug:  was actively involved in politics 40+ years ago.   Not a politician,  but as a volunteer chair of or on political committees for specific things I believed in.   

I also spent a night in the pokie because of politics back then.    Nothing serious, just trying to impeach the mayor.    A topic discussed at daybreak Kiwanis breakfast meetings with the other players all at the same table.   Problem was the editor was one of them, did a front page spash the same day once too often naming names and comments made.   Played polker in an unlocked cell all night with my partner, lawyer, the dam newspaper editor, chief of police and others (with the LEO's cattering food and drink as wanted all night).   A fiesty old broad ran that town despite being in her mid 70's, not the mayor but had been married to one once, a lady who had been a driving force for betterment in that town much of her life.   She did a lot of good for the community, but she also caused a lot of strife forcing old outdated ridiculous laws not only kept on the books but enforced.   IOW, she also ran the small police department as well as the mayors.   I actually lived in a nearby small town of six that ran together, but had a business there, was a parade marshall (that's not a cop) and involved in most activities staged for the community.   The mayor eventually was rousted out of office, and not politely.   :alscalls:

The straw that broke the back on politics for me was a proposition we fought hard for that almost every citizen in the entire county was behind 110%.   And it was won even though it went to the state ballot.   About two years later, mostly behind closed doors, the greedy few who would benefit from it and didn't even live in the area got their way - the almighty buck in action.   Took away some very important history of that old town, and the benefits of it to all who lived in or visited that area.

Politics have not been a part of my life since, in any way.  Matters not to me if anyone agree's or not, it's my right and it's not changeable.

Larry

USN 1967-1971