• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Dymondwood calls

Started by rjl54, March 21, 2007, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opinions differ on Dymondwood.  I'm interested in yours.

Like  the wood but don't like the call.
1 (5.9%)
Like the call but not the wood.
3 (17.6%)
Really like the style but the wood makes it less appealing.
0 (0%)
Great wood and style combination.
12 (70.6%)
Better stick to turning napkin holders.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 31, 2007, 08:10:44 PM

rjl54

I have mixed feelings about Dymondwood.   :shrug:  I like the sound of this call.  Dymondwood seems to resonate well.  But some of the guys I make calls for wrinkle thier nose at colored woods. I'd like a sample of opinion from a wider field.  I really appreciate your participation.

Randy

keekee

I think it looks very good! I turn some dymond wood as well. It has a distinct ring to it, seems to finish very well and have a very appealing look to it.

I think the combo you have there looks very good! The brass sets the call off nicely with the wood.

Brent

Hawks Feather

I have only turned a couple of calls using Dymondwood, but I like it.  It finishes well and has great sound.  I have also purchased a few calls made from it and I like them  too.

Jerry

THO Game Calls

I am a fan of dymondwood.   It is really just birch veneers glued and then impregnated with acrylic resin under heat and pressure.  Sort of like a wooden acrylic. It transmits sound very well, is duralbe and comes iin a wide variety of colors.    The call you have thee looks like Timberland - Your firends mihgt like the magnum or even some of the solid colors.  There are a couple that are called chestnut and oak that are very pretty and lack the bright colors. 

As for your call, I really like the shape, and the accent you put on the brass band is a nice touch.  It's a very classy looking call.  Traditional, and classic.

Al
THO Game Calls
www,thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Arkyyoter

All in all a nice looking call, I like dymondwood, and have turned a little of it myself as well.....nice call, well done.

Joe

desert dog

Very nice looking call.  Flows together very well.

Loren
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

Todd Rahm

QuoteBetter stick to turning napkin holders.
:roflmao: :roflmao: Thats the funniest damned thing I saw all day. Thanks.  :biggrin:

And I checked it just to mess with ya.  :wink:

You know I haven't really been partial to that wood as a personal preference. Just never caught my eye I guess, but it seems to be a popular medium for calls, and a lot of folks really dig the stuff.

Your call on the other hand looks real nice, and If'n I was to take a like'n to the wood, your call would be a good first start.  :wink:

Again Nice Job.  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

BigB

I like the looks of that call.  I also have started turning some dymondwood lately, and I do like having some fun with it.  The only thing that sucks for me is all of the wood splinters that come off of the blank as you turn it.  They seem to stick in my hands like little metal shavings.  And they always sneak up and bite you at the wrong time.  I do like the dymondwood, and the different colors of the layers are neat to play with. 

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Hawks Feather

Brian,

If you want splinters, you need to try turning Palm.  After making a couple of calls from it I have put the rest of it in I my "to do" stack.  As I said yesterday - maybe tomorrow.

Jerry

Coulter

I never really liked the stuff myself, but that is only becasue I felt it was to to "high-tech" - I prefer to do natural woods. However, there is certainly a market for it. I had an unfinished crow call I took to work a day or two ago made from the charcoal silvertone dymondwood. One of the warehouse foremen saw it and fell in love with it, he said when it is finished, it is sold. There are a lot of different tastes out there, some guys like it and some dont. I plan to keep it an open option and will try to keep some in stock for future turnings. It does take on a great finish and you never truly know what your gonna get out of it until your done turning it.

I like the design on your call, that brass ring really sets it off. I might just have to try some brass rings someday.

rjl54

Some great replies and feedback. Todd, I'm  glad I gave you a chuckle.  You returned the favor with your vote!  :laf:
   I have noticed that the charcoal dymond wood seems to grab more attention.  Next order from Al I think I'll try the more subdued colors.
    This call and an osage/blackwood closed reed are going to be my public deabu.  Still not selling, but my cousin and I are going to toss these on a blanket at a local longbow shoot.  If nobody wants them I'll grab 'em back since I'm usually placing at the end anyway.

Thanks guys,
                                                                                               Randy

THO Game Calls

Randy,

as a long time long bow shooter, I can tell you the best way to win a traditional shoot, or at least beat all the guys in your group.

You will need to go to home depot or walmart and get yourself some good wooden Dowels and put fletching on the end of them so they look like arrows.   Stand at the back of the group. and when the best shooter gets to the stake, pull one of your dowels out.  Just as he comes to full draw, break the dowel in half.   

The resulting snap will cause the funniest reaction you have ever seen from a traditional bow shooter.   He will think his bow broke and may do all sorts of craxy things.

Now, it is very important that you stand in the back of the group when you do this.

1) you dont want to be seen doing it

2) if the shooter is a big guy, you have a head start to get away without having to negotiate the traffic of the other people in your group.

It hleps to wear tennis shoes and be fast on your feet too.

Good luck

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Todd Rahm

I guess I should clarify.................not a big fan of the particular color of DW. I do like some of the others. Sorry my bad.  :innocentwhistle:

awh

I like that call. Shape, color, brass...Great job. Lil-man loves the different colors and I've started calling it the crayola stuff cause he wants to use it all the time. But I have noticed it's harder for him to turn, seems like his small arms aren't big enough to take the stuff off. LOL
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

vvarmitr

Never thought that much of a call made of plywood. :huh:  :shrug: However, I would take one over a plastic/acrylic call if I had to choose. :sneer:

rjl54

AL,           :roflmao:

Now that would be funny.  Then I thought a little more about it.   :rolleye:   I'm not big enough and I'm no longer fast enough to pull it off.    Besides this event would be extra dangerous because many of these guys are hardcore self-bowyers.  I mean, some can make a shooting bow with nothing but a hatchet.  I think they might be extra sensitive to me clowning around with dowel rods.   I'd be afraid where my calls might end up.  Let me put it this way . . . . I could probably go call coyotes after I ate a bowl of beans   :shck:

Randy