• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cougar fillet for breakfast

Started by Okanagan, March 16, 2013, 11:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Yesterday morning my younger son invited me for breakfast:  cougar medalions (fillet Mignon of cougar), mini steaks from a blacktail buck and an elk, cooked with thick sliced premium bacon with eggs, good toast, good coffee, and the fixin's.  Primo!

As I left he gave me a cheerful comment that I ought to try calling cougars some time.  He's heard they are easy to call.  Something implied about an old man he knows who has some tips on calling them that I should follow...  He does like to rub it in! :biggrin:

possumal

Sounds like you two have a great relationship, Okanagan.  That is a great thing.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hawks Feather

I just finished lunch when I read this but I think I am getting hungry again.  Sure sounds good and like Possumal said, it does sound like a good relationship. 

Jerry

FinsnFur

LOL thats pretty good. :laf: And did you keep walking or stop to reply to his wit?

That cougar fillet sounds good :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

His timing on that was as I went out the door so I just shook my head and waved him off.   Before he got this lion, I'd given him plenty of razzing that he needed his old man to call lions in for him so there was a little payback going on.  :huh: :wink: Little kids are fun, more fun as they grow up and most fun when they are adults. 

Cougar is very tasty and this one is extra tender.  White meat compared to the red venison steaks. 

David can razz but he likes others to succeed.  On his first lion several years ago, he wanted his 88 year old grandfather to come along with us because he was getting too frail for regular hunting but could hike to a calling stand if the terrain wasn't too steep.  I'm still amazed that a lion came in to my hand calling as the three of us sat in a frozen swamp, and David shot it.  Yesterday afternoon while I was driving back home he took his two kids and four nephews out hunting and Code's younger brother, Jonathan, killed a bobcat that came in.   Code may post something on that, not sure. 

FinsnFur

I think he's picked up a few of his Dads quality traits over the years. Thats what I think. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Sounds like a great guy. 
You know how to name em!  :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 16, 2013, 09:56:00 PM
I think he's picked up a few of his Dads quality traits over the years. Thats what I think. :wink:

That's a scary thought!  Hope he can find a good trait and miss the rest!

Okanagan

weedwalker

Would couger taste any different than other cats? I've heard of people eating bobcat but I've never ate any cat before.

Okanagan

Good question.  I keep forgetting to try some bobcat to see what it tastes like.  I've heard bobcat is good but have not compared cougar and bobcat.

Cougar meat is a pale pink when raw, a little more pale than pork, closer to chicken meat color.  It turns white when cooked, again kind of between cooked pork and cooked chicken for color. Very mild and tasty meat that takes spices and flavors well.

KySongDog

Quote from: weedwalker on March 20, 2013, 05:40:52 PM
Would couger taste any different than other cats? I've heard of people eating bobcat but I've never ate any cat before.

There's a few house cats running around Wranglers.  Maybe we can throw them on the menu next year.   :biggrin:

Okanagan

Another reason not to come,   :nono:  besides the 2K miles.