• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

honest opinion

Started by MattS, March 25, 2007, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattS

I got a couple calls that I was curios on what y'all thought as far as design only.  These are junk calls as the quality of finishing and turning isn't my best, but the design is there.

The first one is an open reed burbanga (or however you spell it) in one piece.  I was experimenting with this one.

The second is a enclosed reed in coco.

Todd Rahm

They look a lil' rough as ya pointed out, but if ya played with the open reed design a litle bit, I bet ya could get it down to a very popular design. The only thing that pushes my intrest away is the large accent ring turned in the barrel. I realy like the fact ya made your own tone board, hows it sound.  :wink:

The closed reed looks a lil' rough too but if it was refined and finished, I'd like it.  :biggrin:

Nice job Matt  :congrats:

FinsnFur

I like em both period.
Setting aside the fact that they are roughed in...your "all in one call mouth piece" has a real unique glimmer to it.
Actually both body designs are unique unless I missed somebody, and I think their going to have a nice rich appearance to them when you get them how you want them.

But I'm not a call maker...consider me a driveby  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

I like the closed reed.

The oversized ring just ahead (behind?)of the toneboard is too big for my taste. I think that's what Todd's talking about. But the ring at the end of the toneboard is a perfect touch.

Other than that big ring, I really like the one piece open reed. You did very well for your first one.

Brad

ninthinning

Wooden tone boards are beautiful.  Lets see a photo of the inside of the horn on the open reed.  What is the purpose of the large ring at the small end of the horn?  Over all A+ calls, thanks for sharing.
9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

MattS

Thanks for all your input guys.   This is very helpful. :highclap:  The more I stare at these pictures the more things are looking a little off or out of place.  That big ring on the open reed is starting to bother me as well.  It was intended to be just a lanyard keeper.  The bell on the calls are fully turned inside as much as possible.  The sound on the open reed started out pretty soft and hollow.  So I soaked the whole thing in minwax hardener for several hours and let dry over night.  That really made a difference in the sound.  It took that hollow dull sound and made it real crisp and loud.

The enclosed reed is also starting to change shape in my head.  I am thinking that the ball on the top needs to be a little smaller.  Its one of those deals that if I stare at it long enough, things will start to move and stand out.  And that big eggs sitting up on top there is really bugging me know.