• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Call Inventory

Started by Hawks Feather, March 26, 2007, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

Todd asked me to elaborate on my post where I told Lil-Man that I would be marking the inside of the barrel of the call that he sends to me.  So here goes.

When I started collecting I wanted to make sure that I knew who the call builder was and any additional information about the call.  My first attempt was to start taking pictures of each call, which only worked so good.  The picture was great, but there was none of the related information to go along with the call.  So, I started a data base where I would enter the following:  Maker, maker's trade name, reed type, sound, description, ID number, price paid, material used (type(s) of wood etc.), purchase date, and maker's address.  I started the ID number with 01, with the exception of Al's calls.  Since I already had several of them I started them with the letter T and an ID number starting with 01.  That number is the one that I put inside the call barrel with the thinnest felt tip marker that I could find.  So, I can now look inside any call and tell you all of the information that I have on the call.  I think it will also be a good way for my kids to know who made the call and what I paid for it when they get them after I am gone.  So I, or the kids, can now look in a call barrel, see 32 and know that it is an African Blackwood enclosed reed tuned to cottontail that I got from Rhino Calls aka Jay Nistetter.  I still have the slips from when I bought the Rhino calls, so I haven't taken the time to fill in the date, etc.

I am sure that are better ways to keep track of calls, this is just what I am using.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Sounds like it'd work to me  :wink: :wink:

Kinda like keeping track of records and history on 400 kids, ey Jerry  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Arkyyoter

Man Jerry...I admire your organization.....I have a few calls, well....maybe several calls....anyway.....I don't have any of the info except what is in my head....I don't have a lot of 'em, but I do have enough I can't keep up with 'em in my head...

Joe

Todd Rahm

I cant bring myself to do that yet.  :shck:      :biggrin:

I did pick up an old call from a collector that did something along the same lines. He would use a dab or white and wrote the number on that. When I got the call he had me clean it off with something, and a Q-tip. No sure what it was I used but it came right off and didn't harm the call.