• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

4x4 bash mislabeled as camp out

Started by Okanagan, June 23, 2013, 11:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Friday afternoon I got a last minute invitation to go “camping” with a young neighbor who is home from college in Kansas for only four days.  He’s a British Columbia boy and has been pining for the mountains.  He also keeps tearing up four wheel drive rigs by seeking out the deepest mud, biggest boulders and steepest cliffy terrain over the edge of drivability.  He rolled his previous rig.  :innocentwhistle: I should have known better…

Heading out Friday evening, he and his brother drove an old Suzuki pickup with jacked up tall tires that he recently bought.  His dad and I followed in my sedate 4 door Suzy Sidekick.  Drive out to a lake, camp overnight, easy.  Several miles NE of Mission, BC, we stopped on a nondescript section of logging road where it contours a mountain, and he walked back to say, “This is where we leave the road.”

As we plunged over the edge on a quad trail twisting downward between boulders and trees, his Dad looked annoyed at his sons ahead and said to me, “Why do I feel like I’m driving into a YouTube video?”

We inched through S turns between boulders barely wide enough to allow a painted vehicle to retain paint, guided by hand signals from outside.  The low spots were the same except that the boulders were submerged in muddy lakes.  I considered leaving my rig up at the logging road but there was enough drunk party traffic that I was wary of the vandalism I’ve seen on vehicles left at such trail heads. 

I put a good dent in the underside but apparently did no damage to function.  Camp was a gorgeous clean gravel lake shore with great food.  Going out was uphill.  At one slick steep spot twisting between trees, I spun out on my first three tries so had to punch it and get to bouncing more than I like.   They told me I had three tires in the air when the rig came up over the ledge.    :yoyo: :highclap: :huh:    I discovered I’d left my camera home but will add a pic if they send me some. 

There is a moral here somewhere. :wo:

Hawks Feather

I think the moral is, uh.  Yea, there probably is one somewhere. 

Glad your vehicle is safe and that you found a good place to camp.

Jerry

KySongDog

Sounds like some of the fun we used to have many, many years ago at deer camp.  I seem to remember chaining my back bumper to my brother in law's back bumper and us trying to pull the others truck apart in the mud.  It was a Ford vs Chevy thing.   And, yes, alcohol was involved.   :nono:

nailbender

:laf: I was expecting a link to youtube! :alscalls:

FinsnFur

LOL, Yah I was kinda looking for the YouTube video too. :laf:
That brings back memories Okanagan...lots of em :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com