• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

bedded coyotes

Started by snafu, June 26, 2013, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

One laying on a terrace way out there. Coyote is on the down-wind side. Coyote also has a good view to it's down & cross wind areas.

Same coyote. Zoomed in, different angle. Coyote is around 1/4 mile out +/-. Would've made a nice prone shot. But I was heading to the river looking for a puma. Wind at it's backside, as per usual.

Another coyote out around 1/4 mile +. Coyote was on the down-wind side of the drifted fenceline. Coyote also had the wind at it's backside.

A few anointed ones have argued with me. That a coyote will behave differently in timber vs out on the open. Haha ok, whatever. I've seen them in hilly timber as well. Guess what they behave the same. Down wind, down wind, down wind.

"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Awesome pics. I would love to find some fodder like that for my new cam :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

I tend to use pics in explaining my verbal fodder. I've had young hunters try to tell me (Even though we all live in the same state). That coyotes in their areas(more timber). Behave differently than do the coyotes in my hunt areas. Too funny  :laf:

snafu

More observations.
Most often when there is flat & hilly terrain. A coyote will choose to bed down on the hilly land. I believe that is because most often. They prefer to be elevated & have a view. Also when bedded down on hilly terrain. They choose to bed right below the ridgeline to around 1/2 way down the side of that hill. To a much lesser degree, near the bottom of the hill or on the valley floor.

A few "examples" on where they bed down on a hill.

Wind from due North, they will bed down anywhere on the Southern side/slope of that hill.
Wind from the NorWest, they choose to bed down on the SouEastern slope.

It is all about the wind with the coyotes. They will most always, choose a wind brake area. Over an area that does NOT offer a wind brake. No matter how slight or strong the wind may be, any given day.

FinsnFur

Which makes perfect sense...or maybe I should say perfect scents.  :eyebrow:
They wanna smell whats coming up behind them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

No doubt Jim. Given more thought on that behavior. They use their hearing & scenting when traveling along/below ridgelines or when bedded down. Covering the areas they can't see. As their cross & down wind areas. Are already(typically) covered by their other senses.

I've watched many coyotes travel along, right below ridgelines. If/when they hear or scent something. That draws their attention. They will then slowly go the the top of the ridgeline & peek over.

snafu

Another thing I have observed, that is typical coyote behavior. Is when a pr stops some where to bed down. The female (most always) is the last coyote to put her head down & relax. I've come to the conclusion the female is the wariest of the two, hands down. If you happen to spot a pr bedded down & see one with its head still up, panning around. It is a good bet that is the wary female.

Coyotes unlike Red Fox, tend to be light sleepers. I call it resting more than actual sleeping. I've watched many though my rifle  & spotter scope. Where I could see either one or both ears pivot towards a far away noise.

Red Fox when sleeping, sleep pretty soundly on average. Often dismissing ambiant noises. Which could of easily been heard by those fox. That behavior is clearly a down fall to their well being. Stupid Reds.

FinsnFur

Thats pretty interesting observations there. You think'd it be the other way around with the male being the watchdog.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Well Jim, that observation of mine, isn't etched in stone in all cases. Regardless, that is what I have seen most often. Upper 90% if you will. I've observed hundreds of prs over the yrs. When I spot a pr on the move. Say their West bound for example. I'll hang back aways East of them. So as to not inhibit/change their intent. A local pr, the males are typically the most at ease & comfortable on "their territory". The females tend to be more on edge/wary.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

A coyote will choose to bed on hilly terrain vs flat land. They will also choose to bed in cover vs out on the open. 9:1 any given day.

I hunt most every day from Fall/post Harvest up into Spring. Coyotes tend to start on the hunt around an hr before Sunset. Finishing up the next early am. Some will be bedded down prior to Sunrise, up until 9-10am before bedding down. Some stragglers will be on the hunt up until around 11am. Few on the hunt after 11am.

FinsnFur

Yep we've noticed too that if we cant get up and get out much before 9:00 due to extreme cold temps or something, that we are pretty much going to be &^#* out of luck.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

I believe the odds of calling in a coyote on the hunt. vs one that is bedded down. Your odds are better if that coyote is on the move. I believe once they bed down. There are not all that hungry. Otherwise they would still be on the hunt. Hunger, being the driving force. Of course there are other varibles as to why a coyote responds, besides hunger.