• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Welcome Home

Started by shaddragger, July 17, 2013, 11:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaddragger

February 18 I was at Moody AFB, GA,  to send my son Wes off to Bagram, Afghanistan. He is the driver of a MAT-V for a Reaper patrol team. Things were pretty routine until Mother's Day when his truck was caught in an IED blast. His team was ok with minor injuries, but he was banged around in the driver's compartment and caught a concussion and a badly wrenched knee.
  After 2 weeks of transfers and hospital stops, he was finally back in the US. When we caught up with him at Ft. Gordon, GA, his mom was the first to get to him.

He arrived at Moody AFB and was met by the remaining members of his team. Later that week, the surgery to repair his knee was done and he was released to come home.
We had been planning a big "Welcome Home" party for late July with the help of a neighbor. When I left to go back to GA to bring Wes home June 6, I told Jeff the neighbor that I wouldn't have time to get anything ready. He told me not to worry, just text when we were 30 minutes from home.
When we turned in to our street on the trip home, I was amazed. I hadn't seen any of the stuff Jeff and his wife had been working on until now, just gave them a few photos and some ideas. 
The first banner...

436 flags altogether...

Inside joke from Jeff. He and his wife watched Wes grow up...

At our driveway...

Our house...

When we turned onto our street, everybody that wasn't on vacation was waving a flag and clapping. Wes hugged his grandparents and then walked back up to greet everybody.

There are other photos of Wes with Jeff and Judy, but they are personal for obvious reasons. This is one.

Jeff and Judy did it all. I am still blown away by their effort, and by everybody who came out to welcome him home. It is easy for me to be patriotic, I've got a vested interest in our country, but these folks went well above and beyond. I only wish every service member could return to such a homecoming.

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Okanagan

What a fabulous thread!  We're proud and happy for you.  The reception says a lot about your whole family and how people regard you.  Thank your son for serving and you for "letting him go."

FinsnFur

Thats pretty awesome right there. I can only imagine the joy on both ends of that. What a reunion.
Tell your son thanks from me as well. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Tell your son an old Marine said "Thank you for your service."

Glad he made it home in one piece.   That welcome home display was awesome!

Hawks Feather

Now that is the greeting that every returning member of the service should receive.  It says a lot about how they feel about him. 

Like Semp said, tell him thanks for his service.

Jerry

JohnP

A big salute and a bigger thank you Wes for your service from a old soldier out here in the desert. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

iahntr

Very cool !!    Thank you !!
Scott

coyote101

Great post!  :yoyo: Thanks so much to Wes for serving.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

gravesco hunter

a well deserved homecoming,thanks from a grateful american

HuntnCarve

Welcome Home young man!  Thank you for your service.  May the days ahead find you healing.

Dave

Dave

Welcome home, Wes, and thank you for your service! 
Shad, sounds like you are in an incredible neighborhood.

shaddragger

Thanks for all the warm wishes guys, and Wes says thanks he is glad to be home!

Dave, it really is a great place. Only 11 homes on a dead-end street, one of those everybody knows everybody places, and obviously full of good folks. I would rather be more remote, but I like it here.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

HaMeR

Very cool show of support. Welcome home & Thank You Wes.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nailbender

Very cool!  Glad your son and his team came home safe.

Todd Rahm

That's awesome!!!!! Thank you for being such a role model for such a young fella, and thank him for his truly appreciated service!!!