• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

crow calls

Started by rabbit16v, March 29, 2007, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit16v

I got an HS Strut Hammerin Crow call.  It says its tunable but I can't figure out how to move the reed.  Any suggestions?

Also, tips on using it would be great as I've never heard one used or used one myself

FinsnFur

Anyone got any reed tuning tips?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Where's Chet when you need him  :rolleye: ...........he could answer this.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

I never tried tuning a crow call. :wo:  I like my Power Crow, & my Faulk's crow call better. :wink:

studabaka

Well, I remember seeing a pretty indepth post on this, but I don't remember where. My first thought was to tool over to THO's site cause there ain't many out there that know more or share more than Al. I didn't find it there, but will keep looking around and post back if I find it.

:shck: Them thar calls pictured on Al's home page sure are a purdy set. They called in a yote on their very first trip to the field  :biggrin:

Edit: All HS says about tuning this is 'To tune your call, place reed 1/8" away from end of mouthpiece. For higher pitch, lower the reed. For lower pitch, raise the reed. Keep your call out of direct sunlight to avoid reed warpage and distorted sound.' Doesn't say or show 'how' one would do it.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Ladobe

Have never seen the call you mention (because I am just not a commercial call kind of guy), but can assume its like most other commercial crow calls with either a reed insert or molded reed area that works the same as an insert.   As Stu hit on, moving the reed forward or aft will change the pitch, which is probably all the call manufacturer intended for the end user.   But modifying the air channel, sound chamber or reed can also greatly change the final voice of the call.   Easiest is trying different reed thicknesses and different reed materials.   Depending on what it is made from, the reed can also be shaved, sanded, tapered, layered, creased or punched and each will give a different end result.   Between the call channel/chamber and/or reed modifications and your control on how you blow the call, the sounds possible are almost endless.

Much to learn you still have.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

THO Game Calls

It really isn't necessary to try and tune a crow call.   Like other animals, each has it's own unique "voice".  What they may be referring to is to make your call sound more like a baby crow than an adult crow.   I'm really not sure that this is necessary or even something you would want to do if you only had one crow call.

Many people have a hard time learning to blow a crow call.  Unlike a lot of other calls, you don't really "blow" into a crow call.  You HUFF into it.  Short hard huffs from your diaphram, not long drawn out blows from your lungs.   Listen to a crow.  The notes are sharp and short.   The only time you really hear long drawn out calls from them is when they are in distress or dying.

The best 20 bucks you can spend learning how to bow a crow call would be to get one of the CD's by Bob Aronsohn.  You can find them here

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=apc&product=cd+crow&exact_match=exact

They will get you started in the right direction.  

There is one other trick - but don't tell anyone I told you this LOL.

Go to a hardware store, not Home Deopt or Lowes, but a REAL hardware store like Ace or Tru Value and ask them for their brass tube and sheet stock display.   Get a couple of pieces of .005 .007 and .010 brass sheet.  Cut reeds out of it and put them in your call.  You will get a nice rich tone that is a little deeper and a bit easier to blow.  They do have a tendancy to wear out faster though.

I hope that helps some.  The real thing to remember from all of this though is that crow calls are made to HUFFED into not blown.   Short HARD breaths from the bottom of your gut will get you the results you might be looking for.  One thing for sure, they will get your lungs in shape because it takes some work to blow a crow call for a long time.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

rabbit16v

thanx for the replies