• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

big month...

Started by Dale, November 05, 2013, 08:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

I haven't bought a new rifle in many years, been quite happy with my Encores and the few barrels I have for them, 2 actions, 5 barrels...  in the past month or so I've acquired a S&W MP15, a new Anderson AR15 lower to be built into a long ranger and a stock set and 17 Hornet barrel for a Contender action I've had laying around collecting dust for to long... guess I'm gonna have to get the reloader set up and get busy... I've gotten real lazy since I've moved down here and for no good reason, it's time to get back into the swing of things again...   :thumb2:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

coyote101

Gotta love the Encores.  :biggrin: I put a .308 pistol barrel on mine a few months ago and hope to take a deer with it in the next week or two.  :thumb2:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bigben

Dale i have a contender that i was thinking about sticking a 18" barrel on along with rifle stock to use for a calling gun. You have any suggestions for a place to locate one?  .223 rem
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Dale

there are several...
http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/
http://www.edstc.com/

do you have the original Contender or the G-2?... if it's the original, Ed will have the stock set you want, if it's the G-2 you see a lot of them on the Encore classified site... the 223 barrel will be easily found on the Encore site...  I'm not sure why if you're making a dedicated calling gun you don't go with a Hornet... much easier on fur...  cheaper to shoot and very accurate...  my fur recipe for the hornet is a Federal small pistol primer, 11­ 1/2gr lil-gun, and a 40gr V-max, shoots one hole so long as I do my part... you load about 600 rounds to a pound of powder...    :wink:

Pat... good luck with your quest to get a deer with your 308 hand cannon... the last deer hunting pistol I had was a Contender super14 in a 41 Mag... extremely accurate out to 200 yards, but I never had the chance to shoot one with it... since then it's always been rifles...

bigben

Because i have a .22hornet and. Hate the round. I have had three animals get away from me with blood everywhere. I have a .223 load worked up that doesnt tear em up and lays em out everytime.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

Quote from: Dale on November 05, 2013, 08:16:26 PM
guess I'm gonna have to get the reloader set up and get busy... I've gotten real lazy since I've moved down here and for no good reason, it's time to get back into the swing of things again...   :thumb2:

I sort of did the same thing.  I hadn't reloaded in years.  But the recent blip in ammo prices caused me to dust off the old press and get started again.  I'm reloading .243 and .44 mag now. 

Frogman

bigben,

Could you share the load you used to shoot that great group?  100 yards?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bigben

100 yds 5 shot group

H4895
Remington 7 1/2 small rifle benchrest primers
Sierra 55gr gameking.
Lake city brass

Not sure on grains on powder without looking at reloading bench i think around 25gr?

Dale

Ben, where are you shooting them that they're running off?... I always head shoot'em and never lost one... that is a nice grouping...

bigben

I shoot em in the chest. I dont have an issue with running off. They die drt now

JohnP

Ben that grouping will never do, you need to move the low right one into the main group.  Shame on you for such bad shooting.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

bigben

Thats just how sporting i am john. I cant have just one little cluster all the time. I gotta give a tick a fighting chance. Lol. For some reason I always have one flyer. Never can get rid of it.

I just started reloading the other year but i trickle every charge of powder and measure it. Makes for a longer process but i feel its worth it.

nastygunz

Kittery Trading Post has barrels n such.

Dale

dang, I aint been in the trading post in bout 35 years... may have to take a run up there next summer... 

Ben... when you were shooten them in the chest with the Hornet were you shooting full power loads?... those little light loads I posted above wouldn't do for body shooting them... it'll hit a fox in a head and hardly ever make a mess of them... I did hit one grey fox in the eye and blew off an ear, but the most of them just get bug eyed and fall down...  for g-hogs and bigger stuff I have a heavier load I shoot, not quite as accurate but still very effective...

bigben

45 gr whinny loads. I dont handload em.

Dale

hmmm well that's about as good a load as you can buy... have no idea why they ran off...

Dale

the 17 Hornet barrel and stock set arrived today for the contender... took a few minutes to get the pistol grip off the action and set up as a rifle... didn't think about a scope base so I'll be looking around tomorrow for that and maybe a new scope also... have a 3X9X50 in the safe if I have high enough rings for it, I may use that...

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

well here the little darling is, I mounted a Bushnell Trophy 3X9X50 on a set of Millet medium height rings over a Weaver base... have good clearance on both ends, this will work if it'll shoot 1/2 decent...

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com