• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Casting a fire ant colony... check this out.

Started by FinsnFur, December 14, 2013, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Truly amazing, Jimbo. Man's creativity continues to amaze.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hawks Feather

I had seen a similar video where it was a college professor doing it to have as an example of what their tunnels look like.  One of the things that I didn't realize, until I saw the smoke coming out, is the number of vents or whatever it was that are around the top.  As neat as it looks I don't think I would try it on fire ants.  With my luck the pour would allow the world's largest colony of fire ants to reside right below where the lead stopped and when I started digging I would get my last trill of a lifetime.

Jerry

JohnP

I sent that to my grandsons, would be a nice project for them and me. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

I have heard that fire ants are pretty vicious?

slagmaker

Seen that done on other ants as well. The cartber north you go the deeper the ants go.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

centerfire_223

Quote from: nastygunz on December 14, 2013, 11:54:35 AM
I have heard that fire ants are pretty vicious?

Trust me you heard correctly!!! Them is bad dudes!!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Dave

They forgot to add that NO ANTS were harmed during the filming of this video!  :wink:
Very cool.

Carolina Coyote

I heard something the other day that kind of blew my mind, a friend said he saw a documentary that Fire Ants are the biggest predator on Rabbits in the South and that they also kill Fawn Deer, for sure they are bad to the bone and plenty of them down south. cc

Hawks Feather

When Becky and I were in the south earlier this year I had a man at a sugar plantation ask me if I knew about them.  I told him the only thing that I actually knew was to stay away from them, but that was about all.  He pointed out several small mounds of dirt and said that they lived there.  He went on to say that as long as they aren't disturbed that you are usually O.K., but walking too close to the mound would/could be counted as being too close.  Since it was cooler there (February) he said that we would be a little safer walking around.  He said that part of what makes them bad, in addition to their bite, is the fact that when they are disturbed they come out and crawl on the 'problem' without biting.  Then one of them gives the signal and they all start biting so rather than having one bite you there are many that bite you.  Didn't sound like a good thing to me.

Jerry

centerfire_223

They hurt like hell, and make little festered up places on you that takes days to go away. If you walk up on a mound and take a stick and mess with it, not only will they come across the ground and get you but they will climb up the stick too. They are really bad around my place, I put out 40 pounds of ant killer last summer and I bet I have more now than when I started. Seems like when you put something on them they just multiply. I've seen mounds close to knee high and big around as a 55 gallon drum. That's a lot of pissed off ants at one time.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

I wonder if the fact that they are so fierce has anything to do with why this guy did his casting in the middle of the night. :laf: It looks dark as "L" there. Do they slumber up at night?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

I checked his website and also his Facebook page.  Seems he is taking some heat (pun intended) but also has some supporters.

"There is some concern that I have harmed the ecosystem by casting the red imported fire ant colonies. So, I decided to walk around today, take some pictures, and evaluate the destruction for myself. The result: 120 fire ant colonies in an area of around 3 acres. 40 per acre. And this is a cold day in mid-December. Be sure to check out my top finds (especially the first picture)."

Jerry

Edit:  I went to a few more of the links and he had some on eBay.  One post said that the price had started at $500 but was then over $3,000.  The person making them said that he disabled the reply section on YouTube because “I disabled comments because I'm sick of your bickering,” reads the video’s description on YouTube. “Also, I couldn't get YouTube to stop sending me an email every time someone posted ‘What if I poured aluminum in your house’ for the 100th time.”

centerfire_223

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 16, 2013, 05:13:29 AM
I wonder if the fact that they are so fierce has anything to do with why this guy did his casting in the middle of the night. :laf: It looks dark as "L" there. Do they slumber up at night?

Jimbo they don't slumber up at night, you step on one even at night and they will eat your azz UP!!! I'm telling you these are some bad dudes. Send me your address and I'll box a few up for you for Christmas. It'll be a Christmas you'll never forget.  :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Hawks Feather

I know a few people that I might like to have some delivered to.    :yahoo:

Jerry

Dale

I made the mistake of bothering a nest several years ago, found out I'm allergic to them... went into anaphylactic shock, fortunately I had taken 100mg of Benadryl before heading out to the clinic... when I walked in and told them what had happened, they had me in the back and an IV started in minutes... after 125ML of Epinephrine over the course of an hour, I walked out on my own... now I carry an EpiPen with me anytime I'm in the field... they are nothing to be messed with...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

FinsnFur

I dont think they could handle our sub artic weather up here Ronnie. We'd definitely have the advantage.  :eyebrow:
Of course, the molten aluminum wouldnt be pourable very long either. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

centerfire_223

You can keep them and make house pets out of them, they are very trainable.  :eyebrownod:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Carolina Coyote

One thing for sure if you had a Terrorist that you wanted to get information from you could sit his bare azz down on a Fire Ant hill and he would sing like a canary.  :eyebrow: cc