• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Free climbing

Started by KySongDog, February 16, 2014, 12:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I don't think this guy would have any trouble hunting from a tree stand.   Scary and awesome at the same time.....

Hawks Feather

I had vertigo in the first 20 seconds.  I am just glad that he isn't my son. 

Jerry

Coulter

Man, I love climbing in the Adirondacks, but I do prefer a bit more "scenic" route to the summits. That's just freaking insane!!

Steve

Okanagan

Incredible skill.  Great photography.

Kind of sad also.  He is hooked as bad as any junkie and it is only a matter of time, no ifs or uncertainty, and I kind of like him from what I saw.

I worked once in awhile with extreme climbers, whitewater kayakers, etc.  I may have told it here but one night by a campfire beside a roaring whitewater river, an Olympic class paddler told me that the only rapids that interested him anymore were ones that carried serious doubt of survival.  I heard later that he died.

FinsnFur

Very interesting. You have to wonder where the line is drawn with some of these adrenaline junkies. wow
Itd be amazing at how much appreciated a slight tilt of the rocks face would be as it offered even the slightest bit of rest to the climber.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Very Impressive!!

I have been bouldering when I was younger. but climbing to that extent, my fear of heights got in the way.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

The smile on his face as he stood against the wall says it all.   

And I agree with Okanagan.  It is only a matter of time. 

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Carolina Coyote

Very Brave person, if you look at the rocks as he climbs it looks like the white powder he puts on his hands some is already there. Where was the photographer?
Or was he doing the filming himself??

FinsnFur

I think they probably used some of the same hold points when they were precleaning the wall Carl. That might be why some of them had chalk on them already.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

That is insane, and agree with Jerry - glad he's not my son. 
I too feel it's only a matter of time - like russian roulette.

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 17, 2014, 06:03:17 AM
I think they probably used some of the same hold points when they were precleaning the wall Carl. That might be why some of them had chalk on them already.

Yes, that's probably right about why the chalk was already there on the rock face when they filmed his climb.  I suspect that he had also practice climbed while secured with ropes and then followed a somewhat memorized route when he free climbed it.

The photography had me curious.  Most of the filming was done from photographers on ropes, but some of the free soaring shots had to be airborne, yet seemed too close for a helicopter or even a hang glider.  I think they used one of the little drones with a camera on board.  I looked at one of those at the Washington State Sportsman Show a couple of weeks ago.   The two I saw were squarish platforms a foot or two across with four propellers about four inch diameter, one in each corner.  Remote controlled by the operator up to over half a mile with a live video feed.  Around $100 and has interesting possibilities for looking over a ridge or at the next meadow over to look for animals.   :innocentwhistle: :wo:

KySongDog

Quote from: Okanagan on February 17, 2014, 10:15:23 AM
Around $100 and has interesting possibilities for looking over a ridge or at the next meadow over to look for animals.

A hundred dollars seems like a bargain to me.  I'd be in the market for one.  Although if they really worked well, I wouldn't be surprised to see some regulations issued fairly quickly.  Probably similar to Alaska's ban on flying and hunting in the same day. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: Semp on February 17, 2014, 01:36:23 PM
Probably similar to Alaska's ban on flying and hunting in the same day.

Seriously? They have that??
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 17, 2014, 08:24:29 PM
Quote from: Semp on February 17, 2014, 01:36:23 PM
Probably similar to Alaska's ban on flying and hunting in the same day.

Seriously? They have that??

Yes they do.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

I had no idea :wo: Interesting
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers