• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Son called in a cougar yesterday

Started by Okanagan, March 06, 2014, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My younger son called in a lion yesterday, but did not get it.  He found two different lion tracks in snow a mile or so apart, one of them an exceptionally big one. He set up to call the big cat using a mix of prey and Rainshadow lion vocals, thinking that the lion was above him.  He didn't see or hear anything definitive, only a crow hassling something quite a ways off.  When he walked back down the mountain to his vehicle, he found fresh tracks of the smaller lion coming uphill straight to where it could see his back. 

Code, ask your uncle  D about it.  I think it was basically the same stand where Jonathan got the bobcat last year.

FinsnFur

Ive had that happen callin yotes before too. It's disappointing and encouraging all at the same time. :eyebrownod:

Good for him. Hopefully in the very near future your posting pics of him standin over that same cat folded up. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

I have always wondered about Rainshadows lion vocals and thought about buying some.   They seemed to work on that particular day and it unfortunate that he didn't get a cat down.  Do you or Code recommend his vocals?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

That would be really cool.  And kinda freaky too. I would be walking back to the truck with my rifle up to my shoulder!!  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Gotta question. Do the big cats like to come in downwind or does it just seem like it?
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on March 07, 2014, 04:38:24 PM
I have always wondered about Rainshadows lion vocals and thought about buying some.   They seemed to work on that particular day and it unfortunate that he didn't get a cat down.  Do you or Code recommend his vocals?

My apology, John, for not replying.  Been on the road for over two weeks with a dinky computer and erratic internet access and missed seeing your question.

Yes, I recommend Rainshadow cougar vocals.  Steve (Rainshadow) has access to several captive cougars.  He bought some sophisticated recording gear and has used it well.  He makes note as to whether the cat is male or female, age and dominance, whether it is contented, angry etc. and whether it is communicating with another cougar or something else.  My son and I have called 8 or 10 lions using a mix of prey and Rainshadow vocals.   Cougars often answer the vocals, letting you know one is out there and sometimes letting you know it is coming in.

As you well know a caveat with any animal vocal is what you are saying and what message the various sexes and sizes of the target critter are getting.  I.e. threat, romance, lost juvenile, etc.  (I have run off wolves and young bull moose I was trying to call by using a dominant male vocal of that species! :laf:

There is less info on lion talk than on coyotes.  We've had lions vocalize to Rainshadow sounds as they come in to the call, had some stay out of sight and reply, had some come in silently and on at least one occasion it was a mature male we surmised was coming in to kill or run off the cougar making our electronic sounds.  I think the Rainshadow sounds increase odds and options by a multiple rather than just an added sound to play.

By way of full disclosure, Steve Rainshadow is a personal friend and has been since he was a kid and I was friends with his Dad.  I receive no financial or other benefit for recommending or using Rainshadow sounds, though we did a little bit of field use and feedback in the early days of his recordings.

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on March 07, 2014, 05:48:33 PM
Gotta question. Do the big cats like to come in downwind or does it just seem like it?

HaMer, generally yes.   IME most kinds of animals prefer to approach an unseen sound upwind, which places them downwind of the call sound.  A lot of factors can modify that generality.