• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

In search of the sun...

Started by Coulter, March 31, 2014, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

My daughter Tori and I headed back to the High Peaks in the Adirondacks over the weekend. We decided to nix Marshall from our agenda prior to leaving and play Iroquois by whatever the conditions dictated. Wright Peak and Algonquin Peak were our main targets for this trip.

After hitting the exposed rocks of Wright we decided to switch to microspikes and had no problems from there. Tori was a tad uncomfortable with the exposure and icy conditions, but she managed. This comes from a girl that loves to jump out of perfectly good airplanes for no apparent reason, but anyhow.

Here was the first shot of Algonquin (5114' second highest peak in NY) as we ascended Wright...

The cloud cover continued to be variable and views were fairly limited. This wasn't much further up that the clouds enveloped the summit again...

Ya just gotta love those statuesque cairns in the cloud cover - so cool...

Another brief window of opportunity at Algonquin - I wish I would have thought to use the panoramic setting on this one.

We never did get a look at Iroquois and we both figured with cloud cover it was going to be pointless to climb it on this day. We did get a peak at Marcy though (highest peak in NY)...

And so it went...clouded in again after spending 1/2 an hour on Wright we decided to give Algonquin a go and hope for some open skies - the descent down Wright...

Nearing timberline on Algonquin. Man this is getting STEEP...

Apparently our timing was bit off. We got nothing but clouds and wind while up on Algonquin. We ducked behind a sizable erratic to get out of the wind and grabbed a bite to eat while waiting for a break in the clouds - Notta! We stayed 45 minutes and got nothing but a rather large hawk that appeared out of no where. That was pretty cool, but no pics of him, we settled for this instead....

And back down we went, through the clouds not much in the way of visibility...

Overall, it was an awesome trip and we now have an excuse to do it again since we had very limited views this time around. Heck we'll have to do it in winter again anyway for it to REALLY count for a winter ascent.

Steve

slagmaker

wow. love the cairn pic.

you might not have seen the sun but it brightened my day you taking us along
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Wow..those are some awesome shots Steve.
I feel Tori's pain. Climbing high places on ice doesnt quite click with me either. lol
Thanks for sharing those pics!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Steve, that's about as good a day as a man could ask for. Glad you and your daughter could have a day like that. :highclap: :highclap:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff