• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cow horn howlers

Started by newbomb, April 04, 2007, 11:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbomb

I am making my first horn howlers and am looking for any advice or tips  a few of you eperienced guys could give. I am just about finished with the buffing and am starting on the tone board later today, the horn is not cut off on the tip yet or drilled.

Thanks Jeremy

newbomb

I went to the tutorial page and it said I neede 10 posts to view and I had 9 so here is 10!

FinsnFur

Sorry bout that Joel.
I was in the back dinkin with that the other day and forgot to put it back on 10.
Try it now.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

newbomb

MattS

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 04, 2007, 01:22:42 PM
Sorry bout that Joel.
I was in the back dinkin

I think he is still drinkin.

Jeremy, Are you going with a separate tone board or are you making a one piece howler?

newbomb

im workin on a delrin tone board now, man this is hard.

FinsnFur

Aint he your neighbor?   :wo:  Who is this??  :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

newbomb

He who? What neighbor? Man am I confused now!!

THO Game Calls

If you go to my web site, there is a tutorial on making tone boards.  THe hardest part is getting the arch right so that there are no bumps or flat spots.  In the tutorial I show you how to use a contour gauge to copy a tone board from another call.  That gets you started.  You can tune your tone board from there. 

A good starting point is to make your air channel 3/16" wide and about 1/4" deep.   You can work from there, but that should get you in the ball park.

Remember that your reed can have a huge effect on the perormance of your call too. 

Try to take the reed, and bend it under itself so it looks like this

-------------------------------
-----

Bending it under lifts the reed just slighly off the "reed bridge" (flat part where the reed sits) and allows it to bend more naturally when you blow it.  This will even out the tone somewhat and eliminate any tiny pitch breaks. 

If you are trying to sand a profile of your tone board on the delrin, use a silver sharpie pen to mark the line you want to sand to.  It is much easier.

The closer you get to where you think it should be, start sanding on one direction only, not back and forth.  Sand from the base of the reed bridge to the tip in even strokes.  This helps eliminate any flat spots or bumps too.

Making your first tone boards can be frustrating,but when you get one to work the way you want it, it is all worth the trouble.   Like anything else, it gets easier wth practice so keep at it  You will get it.

Let me know if I can help you

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

newbomb

bowjunkie

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 04, 2007, 02:35:33 PM
Aint he your neighbor?   :wo:  Who is this??  :sad:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

DirtyDog