• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The Snicker Stump Bull

Started by Okanagan, September 18, 2014, 09:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Grandson Code bow hunted for elk several days last week with his elk guru uncle, while I was the gofer.  No meat but Code drew on two bulls within range and saw another within 100 yards.  Each shot had an iffy aspect that caused him to pass.

I am released from my oath to never tell where we hunt and will reveal all.  A bull Code named Katie Perry lives in the deep canyon below the Snicker Stump.  The bull named Elvis is king of the next deep basin over, between Snicker Stump and Flat Tire Corner.  I will pass on the admonition not to tell anyone where these bulls are. :nofgr: 

We first heard Katie Perry the bull last year, and Code named him Katie Perry because the bull roars rather than bugles, after Katie’s song “Roar”.  He is super furtive.  He bellowed/roared at us again this year from deep in the canyon, then shut up without a peep.  In contrast, Elvis bugled at least 15 times that day.

Below is Mt. Olympus from a ridge trail before sunrise, hiking in to a vantage point above a canyon.

Code watching a basin and listening for a reply to his dawn bugle.

The bull Katie Perry wafted a bellow up from the depths a few minutes later, deep and around to the right in the photo.  Game on! 

Edited later to add:  They bailed into the canyon after the bull but he never replied again.  Another bull, Elvis, bugled from deep in the main canyon so they went farther and deeper after him.  I picked them up seven hours later on a ridge top road on the far side of the drainage, way to the right off of the photo.  The canyon shown is a small side ravine or basin off the main canyon and not nearly as deep.   

Code's choice of footwear for the hunt.  One day he climbed down to the bottom of the huge canyon and back to the top TWICE in pursuit of a specific bull.

riverboss

Gteay story with beautifull photos of the mountains. What the heck are those things on his feet? I would like to tag along on a hunt like that, but i know i couldnt handle it anymore.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

HaMeR

That's some rough huntin right there!! I couldn't do it anymore!! Beautiful place you've got up there!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

I can imagine packing an elk out of those bottoms would be lots of fun.   :nono:   That terrain looks like a young man's game to me although I see a patch of white hair on the uncle.  :laf:   Beautiful country any way you look at it.  It was a successful hunt no matter the outcome.    :congrats:

Coulter

Nice!! That there is why I like to go climbing in the Adirondacks. I know someday I will hunt in country like that and I don't want to be so out of shape I can't enjoy it. Can't wear those toe shoes though...That's just weird. Glad to hear a young man like Code knows when to pass on a trophy rather than taking a risky shot. He's obviously been brought up right :congrats:

Steve

msmith

Great story and pics! It's great to be able to hunt vicariously through others.

The shoes intrigue me. Not sure I could wear them, but I might have to try some on sometime.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Dave

First of all, my feet hurt just looking at those things. They must be comfortable, though, with all the climbing up and down he's doing. 
Sounds like some exciting hunts you guys are on.  And not bad, Okanagan - being a gofer for your son and grandson!
Thanks for posting!!!

Okanagan

I've never tried the toe shoes (branded as Five Fingers, Barefoot, etc.) .  They look uncomfortable to me.  They grip rock but the Vibram grip pads/soles on his are slick on many rain forest surfaces Cody told me.   Blackberry vines and scratches from sticks and some cuts and bruises from rocks on his ankles chewed him up badly enough that he went to boots on the third day but didn't climb much since all of the elks had gone silent. Warm muggy weather. 

We talked about adding some kind of light leggings to protect his ankles and shins much as Indians did with moccasins.  Code likes the toe shoes and says that they are comfortable and develop foot muscles and dexterity, which makes sense. 

This is the young man who ditched his shoes in a clearcut covered with brush, rocks and blackberries so he could stalk a bear more quietly barefooted-- and then never could find where he took his shoes off!

FinsnFur

Dang nice looking country. And what a hunt. :yoyo:
I'm not sure on the shoes lol :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

He sure sounds like he is a tough young man. My feet are scared to walk in the grass with ouy shoes.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

JohnP

My elk hunting days are over, so stories and pictures like this are sure welcome.  I know exactly where he was as soon as you said between Snicker Stump and Flat Tire corner and that pine tree sure brought back some good memories as did the hillside.  Tell him not to be concerned I'll keep it a secret. 

Tell him I said good for him on passing a ify shot.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FOsteology

Nice countryside. Definitely need to be in shape to run up and down, let alone pack something out.

I had a pair of those shoes! Took them to Hawaii a couple years ago. Comfortable, but poor quality as they didn't hold up. Tore them up within a couple days.

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on September 20, 2014, 02:40:37 PM
My elk hunting days are over, so stories and pictures like this are sure welcome.  I know exactly where he was as soon as you said between Snicker Stump and Flat Tire corner and that pine tree sure brought back some good memories as did the hillside.  Tell him not to be concerned I'll keep it a secret. 

Tell him I said good for him on passing a ify shot.

John, you have a good way with words, and the few in this post of yours are moving and full of meaning on several levels.  Thank you.