• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Oyster Mushrooms

Started by Dave, June 13, 2015, 06:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

We finally had a little bit of rain here last week and I noticed some small Oyster mushrooms popping out of a log where I've picked them before.
Went back yesterday to see how they were doing.

They looked about perfect so I cut most of them off
It's a pretty big container - probably 3 or 4 pounds

Fried about 1/3 of em up with onions and butter, added some fresh garden asparagus to go along with a freshly speared flounder (that's right, speared!) and it all makes one heck of a nice picture

trailtwister

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

HaMeR

Didja keep those sunglasses too!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:

I've seen those quite a few times & didn't know they were edible so I just ignored them. I should get one of those books about mushrooms so I know which ones too avoid.

Those remind me of Pat's frost flowers.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

Mmmmmmmmm! That's good eating right there.

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

I am with Glen, never knew they were edible.  Glad you are getting some rain.  We have had extra around here and will be glad to share.  Fos needed some rain a couple of years ago and finally took Ohio up on the offer - they have had flooding.

Jerry

nastygunz

Used to spear/gig flounder from boat at night with spotlights huge fun :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Quote from: HaMeR on June 13, 2015, 07:44:30 AM
Those remind me of Pat's frost flowers.

Ditto! :eyebrownod:
I would be scared to eat those...how did you first learn they were safe? :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 14, 2015, 10:07:29 PM
how did you first learn they were safe? :huh:

He served them up at a community dinner.  Everyone survived so they had to be safe.    :rolleye:      :rolleye:

FinsnFur

LMAO [emoji23] I meant did he grow up knowing it from his father or something, did he learn from the locals , or did he read about it.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

Always been interested in fung-ology, but was never confident enough to eat em until staying at a Holiday Inn Express!!!  Something's in their coffee.

Actually my brother Steve started getting into it a several years ago with a few friends that knew something about it.   He showed me a few unmistakable ones (hens and chickens of the woods) and what to look for.  There are probably four types I'd feel confident in finding - hens, chickens. oysters and morels.  Still wanting to try some morels.  I know I've seen them over the years while hunting, but now that I have a  little know how they're none to be found. 

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Dave sent a plate to Pat!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

I love mushrooms but they scare the heck out of me. I buy mine at the store.

FOsteology

Quote from: riverboss on June 15, 2015, 05:36:48 PM
I love mushrooms but they scare the heck out of me. I buy mine at the store.

+1

Looks good Dave!

FinsnFur

Dan, you too far gone. The wrong mushroom couldnt do any more damage  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 16, 2015, 05:33:11 AM
Dan, you too far gone. The wrong mushroom couldnt do any more damage  :laf:
I'm sure your right Jim.

trailtwister

I also like the one called Cauliflower

, along with the one called

Puff balls are good but we don't find them around here very often

It is good to know a old timer male or female to teach you but a lot can be learned just off the internet.

:biggrin:  al

trailtwister

this is a good site.
http://naturallist.com/fungied1.htm

Also keep in mind some grow some places and some don't so check out your region for what is ediable.

Dave

Trailtwister, never tried the cauliflower one, but it looks like it'd be good.  Not too fond of the puffballs - they pop up around here and I just tried them for the first time last year. 

Was out the other day and found this Chicken of the Woods
It wasn't growing in the usual 'shelf' like formation on a tree, but right out of the ground a few feet from the base of an old dead oak. 

It was over 10 pounds - and about 20 yards away was another of the same size, but all white (I left that one alone b/c I never saw a white one)

Usually the underside is yellow, but this one was white.

Did a little googling and found it's a tougher one to find, but they do grow above the root system and have white undersides. Called laetiporus cincinnatus and is supposed to be better eating than the yellow ones.
Here's the yield

I tried grilling some, but prefer them with just butter, salt and onions.

Okanagan

All cut up, those look delicious, but you guys still scare me with the mushrooms.   :yoyo: :huh: :shrug:

Tim Horton's cappuccino on the counter!  That's Canadian!  My US sister will drive 50 miles out of the way to get a Tim Horton's coffee because she says they make such good coffee.

Our daughter got a kick out of having a Tim Horton's mug on her desk in the US Senate Office Building when she worked there.