• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Missed Opportunity

Started by Carolina Coyote, September 20, 2015, 07:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Yesterday my Grandson and a friend of his came over to do a little target practice, started about 9:00 and stopped about 12:30, great day to be out shooting with little wind and temperatures in the 70's. Just as we were getting ready to pack up and call it a day, my GS friend was preparing to make the last shot of the day my GS (Justin) started motioning to our right a big Coyote was coming out of the woods headed straight toward us , I mean with all the shooting we had done here he comes, the friend was putting a bullet into the rifle but was not quick enough ,all the other guns were put up and the Coyote came to about 50 yards from us and angled down to were he was running away from us for about 100 yards I started barking to try and stop him but no luck and the friend was not able to get a shot. Unbelievable but a fun thing at the end of our shoot. Hopefully I will be able to make a setup and call him out sometime this week.

pitw

The set up should be easy, just get a group together and target practice.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on September 20, 2015, 08:16:15 AM
The set up should be easy, just get a group together and target practice.

LOL yah really.

Thats kinda different that he came towards ya's with all that shooting. I bet the grandson was stoked.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Just hard to figure out what the Coyote had on his mind, you would have thought once he saw us he would turn back and go the other way but instead he gave us the golden opportunity, I have not got over it yet. LOL

pitw

Carl, coyotes are like grizzly bears and have learned that gunfire usually means a free meal of entrails or if fast enough the whole damn critter.  The coyote you saw probably thought it was at Bull Run and was going to gorge for weeks. 

Carolina Coyote

Well maybe I need to fire off about 10 rounds before calling from now on.

pitw

Carl, I'd think a package of firecrackers would be cheaper and may get the same result. :wo:

riverboss

We shot 5 rounds of skeet one time and had one walk right up to the low house. 5 shooters burned him up! I don't think he will ever make that mistake again.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

pitw

If coyotes were afraid of gun shots, why would I keep calling after shooting just one?

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on September 21, 2015, 08:37:22 PM
  If coyotes were afraid of gun shots, why would I keep calling after shooting just one?

Ideally the majority says to keep calling but to switch to coyote distress because the other coyote will often come in to investigate or help his comrade. But coming into "shots fired"...several shots fired for that matter, is pretty unorthodox me thinks. Not too many people can say they've had that happen. :nono: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Who is this majority?  Do they kill many dogs?  I continue with whatever brought in the first one as it seems to be working.   :shrug:  There has been many coyotes shot at gun ranges.

riverboss

I killed 4 over rabbit dist with a shotgun they came in one at a time about a min apart. Two friends have killed 5 at a time that I called in all within shotgun range. But I will add it was several yrs ago before calling was popular.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Carolina Coyote

From now on when out target shooting I think I will have one gun loaded laying on the side that I can grab quickly, LOL
It did not look like a young Coyote , Full grown . Like Barry said get a pack of firecrackers.

slagmaker

Well the whole idea behind fox-bang is bring them in to a hurt coyote. And as Barry pointed out, they learn that a gunshot might mean a meal.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Not that I would intentionally go shooting and expecting to get coyotes in at every stand you realize.  I've been on many a goose hunt where a coyote comes in to steal a decoy after a bunch of geese have been shot.  I believe coyotes will respond to damn near any commotion as it their way. 

FinsnFur

Down in Ferguson coyotes are starting to roam the streets in lieu of all the shootings.  :laf: :shrug:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers