• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Maybe

Started by snafu, December 18, 2015, 09:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I'm alone on this school of thought about the coyotes. But over my latter yrs of hunting them I sought to learn from them. So that is what I spent my time doing. Was to observe & learn from a distance. As I viewed them from afar in their natural setting. Over my yrs I gave hundreds of them a free pass. Rather than get to it & just kill them. The only thing a dead coyote ever taught me. Is some of them can take a severe pounding. Well a hunter could learn that on one hunt. Yet what has that hunter really learned. Not much I'd say.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Sooo, your a stalker :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 18, 2015, 11:55:47 PM
Sooo, your a stalker :huh:

:laf: Why yes Dear Watson, I'm a spot/stalker. My Dad & his 2 friends taught me that style of hunting. The areas I hunt are mostly open rolling foot hill cropland.

Carolina Coyote

Every one is entitled to his own opinion.  :shrug:

Okanagan

Early in our marriage, before kids, my wife would go on breakfast picnics with me to watch coyotes.  She brought the idea of a breakfast picnic from her family and I was a lifelong chaser of coyotes.  We'd hike or drive to a vantage spot in good coyote country and have hot chocolate etc. while watching coyotes and the sun rise.  That was in Los Angeles County, patches of grassy sage hills surrounded by housing developments, and an amazing number of coyotes.

A few years ago she and I were watching a pair of coyotes one afternoon in a field, February mating season.  The larger coyote caught a mouse and instead of bolting it down as usual, he barely held it in the tip of his teeth and carried it to the slightly smaller one, which we are fairly sure was a female.  As the lady coyote took the mouse my wife warned her aloud, "Don't believe him!"

snafu

My point to observe as much as possible is. Learning their behaviors & habits will give a hunter an edge(if not many edges). If that hunter is willing to spend the time. I've seen roughly 3000 +/- coyotes in my life. During my early hunt yrs. I did some observing, but mainly got right to trying to kill them vs learning from them.

snafu

A good example from observing. Is while a mated pr of coyotes are on the move(traveling). The female is the lead coyote, male being the lag coyote. Where she goes, he follows. This is not etched in stone(100% fact all of the time). But is what I have observed many times.

When a pr beds down for the day. She is the last one to lay her head down. She is the most wary of the two.