• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Attention all you Facebook junkies...

Started by Coulter, February 23, 2016, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I've finally given in and opened up a North Bay Facebook page. I'll be doing some pretty cool stuff on there that you won't see anywhere else, and WON'T want to miss. You guys will want to get in on it...go "Like" the page when you have a chance - https://www.facebook.com/NorthBayCalls

This is the real deal this time too, there's no knucklehead running it for me. I'm the only knucklehead that can do anything on it.

Steve

Hawks Feather

FinsnFur

I swore I'd steer clear of the facebook scene too but found myself setting up a page for Fins and Fur Hosting a couple months ago after the persuasion of Loren Reese. I'm not regretting it and it definitely creates a little traffic for ya.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks Jim, Jerry & Pat...I was always dead set against it too. But a gentleman I know that makes duckboats convinced me to give it a shot when he said if you're a business owner and not on FB then your just flat out a fool. Well, message received loud and clear. I can't be a fool ya know...foolish maybe, but not a fool. :wink: It has brought in two orders already and I'm still trying to figure things out. This could be dangerous.

Steve

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Thanks Glenn...Maybe now I can start spelling your last name correct. I think I spell it different every time and it's never right. You need to just change your name :noway:

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

zack.klan

Don't forget to check your messages and that the message button is on the top right corner. :alscalls: :biggrin: :laf:
Zack

Coulter

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: Coulter on October 07, 2016, 05:26:47 AM
Mesaages? What messages?

That was me on FB.  Clueless.   I'd had an account for two years and didn't know about messages till somebody showed me.  I had nearly 30 messages, some of them two years old.  People thought that I was rude I guess.  The messages connected me with friends from grade school and I did a trip to the Midwest to see a cousin I hadn't seen in 20 years who got hold of me on FB. 

But then somebody hacked my FB page and started a fraud account in my name so I had FB shut down both.  Not on FB now but am thinking about starting an anonymous one just so I can see things like Coulter's site.

Coulter

C'mon on back over to the dark side. As much as I hate it, I do get that it's just the way things are going these days. And you might even get lucky and get yourself a new North Bay call...just ask Pat about that one. I try to do a contest each month, so get on there and give a Like/Follow thingy :wink:

Steve

Frogman

FB has been a real blessing for me.  My wife helped me get started a few years ago due to some of the shooting and scuba things I was involved in.  Now I'm addicted.  I retired from school teaching several years ago and always wondered what happened to my students after they left elementary school and went on to Jr. High and High school and beyond.  Once I got on FB several of them have friended me.  I really liked my kids and FB gives me away to keep up with them!  I located one really good student that we all had high expectations for.  She now lives in Portland Oregon and is a doctor.  Since contacting her on FB she and her husband have joined our scuba group on three trips to Bonaire!!  Now with the election looming I am probably on FB too much??  But I just can't help expressing my opinion.  Some of my former students have become flaming liberals??  It's interesting to see how they think.  I can't stand the thought of Hillary becoming President?? 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Frogman on October 12, 2016, 11:23:45 PM
I retired from school teaching several years ago and always wondered what happened to my students after they left elementary school and went on to Jr. High and High school and beyond.
Jim

Thread hijack!

Jim,

What did you teach?  I am a retired elementary principal and have done the same thing that you are with Facebook.  I have quite a few of my Brickell Kids that are friends and many more that didn't attend Brickell but I have gotten to know by taking pictures at the high school.  I really enjoy being able to see what they are doing now.  That being said, if they are 15 to 25, you will probably find more of their posts on Twitter, but they usually have a Facebook account too.

Jerry

Frogman

Jerry,
I was an elementary and Jr. High librarian.  Best job ever.  Tried to share my love of reading with my kids.  I could be flexible with what subjects I covered.  Usually first half of the school year we did library skills.  In September I liked to do a unit on hurricanes, we would track any hurricanes active at the time and read books on hurricanes we had in the library.  Another favorite unit I enjoyed doing was historical based on Johnny Horton and Jimmy Dean historical ballads.  I had ordered books about "Sink the Bismarck", "Battle of New Orleans", "Jim Bridger", "Miss O'Leary's Cow" about the Chicago fire of 1871, "Snowshoe Thompson", and Jimmy Dean's "PT-109".  We would listen to the songs, then read the books.  Even did "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron".  The kids loved it!  Every other year or so I would do the NRA's "Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program".  The Accelerated Reader program on the computers was a great asset to keep the kids reading.  One year the students with the most points got to duct tape me up against the wall in the cafeteria. 
I really liked my job and the kids.  Problem was when they left my school and went on to Jr. High and High School I would loose track of most of them.  Some would stop by and see me and the other teachers once in a while, but I often wondered how the others were doing.  When my wife suggested I get on Facebook for my scuba business and for the gun club I was active in, I was not too enthusiastic.  Once I got into it several of my former students started friending me.  Then I found alumni groups for the different schools I had taught at.  I stay in contact with over a hundred former students and teachers.  I am in a Reloading group, scuba groups, coyote hunting groups, an Iwo Jima families group, my Dad fought on Iwo Jima, and numerous others.  I probably spend way too much time on FB now??  But it has been blessing to keep track of students and friends and relatives that live away from me that I would otherwise have little contact with.    Haven't done the Twitter thing yet???
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

Jim,

You sound too much like me - except for the diving part.  I had a student who was a senior at the time ask me (via Facebook) if I still did photography and if so would I come out and take some pictures of him in track.  I did and had some prints made for him and gave them to him at the high school.  I then went to the nest meet and a kid I didn't know asked if I was the one who took the pics and when I said yes he said to take some of him.  I have gone from track to: boys and girls soccer, boys and girls cross country, volleyball, football, cheerleaders, boys and girls golf, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls basketball, gymnastics, wrestling, baseball, softball, homecoming, prom, plays, and about anything else that they can think of.  I give the digital images with a release to the parents and kids while the school uses them for the yearbook and website.  Since the early days I have found it easier to just upload game images to my website and have it set to allow social media sharing.  Much less expensive for me than making prints and giving them away and also more convenient for the kids.  Since all of my student images are at no cost to parents the coverage at our athletic events has gone from a high of five photographers (four that charged for images) to one - me.  I had one local photographer that saw me at the first football game three years ago and when I said hi to her she said, "I see you have your camera."  I said yea and asked her where her camera was.  She said that she didn't bring it because 'since I was giving images away' she hadn't sold any the prior year.  Ticked me off and I have been known to open my mouth at times.  So I said, "Amy, did you charge more than your cost for your senior pictures?" She said, "Of course!"  Next question, "Amy, did you charge extra for the senior banners?"  Again, "Of course" a little more emphatically this time.  So I asked, "Amy, were you out on the practice field sweating during workouts like the players who are playing tonight and trying to represent their school as best they can?"  She said, "Of course NOT!"  So I told her that it was about time she started 'giving back' to the kids that she was making a buck from because of their sweat.  She knew she was had, but started walking off and turned and said, "I am NOT giving away my work."  And I said, "Fine because I do."  All of this took place right in front of the student seating section.  After that night I know of three seniors who cancelled their senior pictures with her and another that did not go to pick up their prints.  The dad approached and asked me if what his son told him was true.  When I said that it was he said that he had placed a deposit and prints were ordered, but he was going to wait for her to let him know that that the prints were in to say that he did not appreciate her actions and would not be in to get anything from her.  We (the other photographer and I) attended the same church at the time (her husband was the youth director - a topic for some other time) and needless to say, neither of them spoke to me at church after that - so Christ like.  But, me being me, I would make a point to say Hi to them when they were partially across the room and there were other people between us.  Seems everyone could hear me but them.   :innocentwhistle: 

Jerry

Coulter

Hi jack away Jerry...Heck I started this thread back in February. It just recently got brought back to the limelight. Use it as long as you guys want :wink:

Steve

FinsnFur

Jerry I love it! :congrats: :congrats:
The "saying hi" ending got me chuckling.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers