• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Crashed Chev on back road

Started by Okanagan, August 06, 2016, 12:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Poking around an old logging road today I came on this pickup.  The dip through the creek is a lot deeper and steeper than it looks, especially steep on the near side toward the camera.  At first I thought that the driver had crossed the creek then could not get back and spun his way into a mess.

But looking over the tracks and sign indicated that he came over the hill in the pic below, hit his brakes and began to slide sideways as he approached the creek.  I think that he was going quite slowly when he slid off of the near vertical bank sideways.  The red line shows the approximate skid mark from his left front tire, which was sliding sideways most of the time.  Police had checked it and it had been thoroughly vandalized.  Diesel motor. 

pitw

The vandalism bothers me but the truck going off the road has gotta be not unusual.
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I see the culvert sitting over there off to the side :biggrin:

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on August 06, 2016, 09:00:02 PM
I see the culvert sitting over there off to the side :biggrin:

Yep.  For some reason on those old logging roads they dig out all of the culverts and drive through the dip in the road where it used to be.  If the road washes out they don't fix it.

nastygunz

In Vermont those back road culverts are usually a good spot to pick up some nice Brooktrout.  Nice and cool and dark in them.  I have caught many a fish by dropping a worm or fly on the upstream side and letting it drift back into the culvert.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on August 07, 2016, 01:10:36 AM
In Vermont those back road culverts are usually a good spot to pick up some nice Brooktrout.  Nice and cool and dark in them.  I have caught many a fish by dropping a worm or fly on the upstream side and letting it drift back into the culvert.

Now THAT is a fishing tip!   :yoyo: :highclap:

Most of our country is too steep to have good creek fishing.  That little creek in the photos above is mostly a whitewater cascade between waterfalls shooting down a grove in a huge steep mountainside, way too steep to have fish in it. 

Below is a photo of the mountainside where the creek and Chev are, taken a year or two ago from the same road higher on the mountain.  The wrecked Chev is straight down the mountain (to the right) from the spot where the photo was taken, and about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.  The place where the road crosses the creek is a small bench that has been bladed out level for the road, with steep slope above and below, though that does not show in the photos of the vehicle.  The Chev's front bumper is hanging over space, not quite a vertical cliff but too steep for me to navigate.  Ten feet in front of the front bumper it is a good 20 feet down to touch ground on the rocky slope. 

Hawks Feather

Had me scared a little when I read the title.  I thought it might have been your vehicle.  Glad it wasn't.

Jerry

bambam

I 'd love to have  that truck bed, it's in better shape than mine !!

nastygunz

Back where I'm from when I was a kid a fellow with a truck that looked like that we would've called him a Fancy Dan!  :biggrin:...danggg  I would sure love to be roaming those mountains.  I will have to take some good trout and culvert pictures this fall.   Ain't no fish prettier than a male brook trout in his fall spawning colors.  When my dad was getting right up in the years n feeling it physically him and my mother used to ride around the back roads and just fish the little coverts and bridges and limit out on Brooktrout every time it was the only way he could keep in the game and they used to really have a good time doing it.

FinsnFur

Thats kinda creepy that he couldnt get it out, or get help, so it just got literally ransacked.
All the glass is gone. They tried to tear the passenger door off. It's got more bullet holes then Carters got liver pills. Half the dash is ripped out. And I'm sure they stole the tailgate
:rolleye: :rolleye:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com