• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Walking in

Started by snafu, October 01, 2016, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Being a long time canine predator stalker. I've used the same tactics whether I was sneaking in on a bedded canine or sneaking in to an area to call. I doubt many "non-stalkers" Pay much attention to terrain features, noise on the way in, wind speed & canine behaviors/abilities. 

I prefer to sneak in on a bedded predator or a call area. From either on the cross-wind or an angled up-wind direction. Such as, the 10:00 or 2:00 angle. From where the predator is or where one may be.

Both coyotes & Red Fox, prefer to spend the majority of their time. On the down-wind side of cover & or a ridgeline/ground structure for example. They prefer those areas because they are wind-break areas. I have observed thousands of coyotes & hundred of Red Fox in their natural settings. The down-wind areas are where they'll be. They use the up-wind areas mainly as transitional areas. As they travel from one down-wind area to the next.

On the way in, as I'm out of the line of sight. Noise reduction is my main goal. I watch where I plant each foot, stepping lightly like a cat as I listen/feel for any crunch or snap under foot I may make. I also avoid crossing a barbed fence. As they will often telegraph a squeak for a very long way, when depressing a wire to cross on over/under/through. Any self respecting coyote in the area. Can, may, will hear that noise. Alerting them to your presence.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

I've mentioned this before, somewhere out there in internet land. If you fenced in a coyote on a table flat parcel of land. Out in the middle is a lone bush. Most often than not, 90% of the time any given day. Even on a mild wind day. That lone coyote when bedded down. Will bed immediately on the down-wind side of that bush. That same coyote will also be facing a down-wind direction.

The other 10% of the time. That same coyote will bed out in the open on that flat land. But will also have the wind at it's back.

Why is this behavior good to know? Well for starters, depending on which direction you walk in. You may have a coyote up ahead of you facing you. Not good for you, as you have diminished your odds of success.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com