• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Life change I have made.

Started by riverboss, October 06, 2016, 05:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

I made a big decision last yr on my 30 anniversary! I just wasn't able to do the things I enjoy anymore.
LBL kicked my butt hard also! so I decided enough was enough.

I had my mind made up and In march I set the ball rolling with the help of my Dr, after jumping threw hoops for insurance on sept 7 I had gastric sleeve surgery. They removed 80% of my stomach!  I'm now down 50lbs and real don't know were it will end the Drs say it should be over 100lbs if I eat right.

I'm only able to eat about 4oz at a time and never get hungry, I just eat when I get weak feeling.
I have to have high protein foods to get in my daily proteins which I'm not doing very good at.
I really looking for some advise on getting protein other than supplements and I'm excited to be able to have the chance to be healthy and continue getting out and hunting more again. Let me know if you protein advise.

Thank Dan

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

HaMeR

Congratulations Dan!!!!! I'm glad you took that 1st step!! It will pay big dividends over time!! I wish you the very best of Luck & continued success!!

I eat a lot of skinless chicken & tuna. Eggs are a great source to. I mix them in the tuna. Gator/Powerade will help as well. I drink the Powerade Zero. Sodium is at 10% & sugar isn't listed. 0grams of protein but you're drinking it for the electrolites anyway. Fish I believe is good for your needs as well. I like mine cooked on the stove in EV Olive Oil on low heat. Flipping it til it flakes apart then lay it over some rice.

I know you're not looking for supplements but Ensure is a high quality product. There's a reason hospitals keep stock in Ensure in their coolers.

Good Luck my Friend!! I do wish you the very best!! Holler if you need anything!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Congrats, Dan. What you did takes lots of courage. As for protein, you might like a drink called AdvantEDGE.  They taste pretty good and have 17 grams of protein. Different flavors but I like chocolate.  Good luck on your journey!

Okanagan

Wow.  Wishing you all the best as you work this out. 

FinsnFur

Wishing you the best Dan. Like HaMeR said tuna is a good protein source. Another is Trout. If you like fish both are delirious and can be prepped a number of ways.
Keep us updated
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Thanks guys it was a tough choice. But one that had to me made, I've dieted for yrs but it never stuck!
The fish should help alot I stocked my lake this summer with channel cats as a long term food source for fresh fish, but they aren't big enough yet.
What do you think about jerky?
Would smoked fish be a good source and how well would it keep in a backpack?
About every 2 hours I need a dose of protein.
The Classes I had to take just were about store bought supplements mostly and most must be refrigerated.

I've never ate canned tuna I might give it a try.
my
go to has been chili so far and eggs.
Thanks Dan

HaMeR

The sodium content in jerky,, IIRC,, is about like eating from a salt shaker. Sodium will make you retain water & @ 7.2lbs/gal you will never feel like you're losing weight.

Okanagan might have a handle on back pack foods.

Check out cereal bars at the grocery store. I carry them a lot when hunting. Try to avoid high sugar contents as you'll get a sugar high & while it feels good you won't be getting enough protein.

It aint easy. It's a lifestyle!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

linemansteve

Hang in there Dan, As you said it's a long journey but I think you will get it done.  Talk at you later     Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

FinsnFur

Yeah like HaMeR says you can buy protein bars. I like to take a can of tuna or salmon and mix in a little mayo and eat it on crackers. It so delicious. Heck a 1/4 cup of salmon has 12 grams of protein. Thats an excellent source.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I agree with Jim. Also hard boiled eggs can be back packed in small tupperware containers.

We are here to serve you well Dan!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Nice Dan! One of the guys at our boat dock had that done last year and he looks like an entirely different person. I hope it all works out well for you.

As far as the proteins go...My go to is Tuna, Chicken, Eggs, Peanut Butter and I love my Pistachios. Get the Albacore Tuna though, it is a bit better for you from what I understand.

Are you going to make it back to LBL this year? Hope to see ya there sir :yoyo:

Steve

riverboss

I've been making a list tomorrows grocery day.
I went to the Amish store down the road today looking around and found a book on preserving meats and canning.
I'm just now getting to eat real food! I must watch my sugar and fat intake and I'm not supposed to drink soda anymore, so I'm drinking crystal light and power aide zero. Carbonation is a no no
I was Leary saying anything about it but I'm glad I did now.
Steve we already have our reservations made! It will take a hell of a storm or medical emergency to keep me away from LBL.

Johnny it wasn't courage that made me do it. My Dr told me my chances of something happening were nothing compared to not doing it. I hit rock bottom and rolled the dice! I'm glad its worked out, thanks for the info on the drinks.

coyote101

Congratulations on your life change Dan.  :congrats: I look forward to seeing what's left of you at LBL.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

I just saw this and want to wish you well as you continue to get in better health.

Jerry

HaMeR

Coulter hikes those peaks in the Adirondack Mtns Dan!! I forgot about the peanut butter. Those protein bars are great IF you can find one you like. They aren't cheap either. But they are a great source.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Thanks Glenn I have some pb2 which is powder peanut butter with higher protein that you add water or what ever you want.
Mountain hiking days are over for my knees I'm afraid.
I can't wait till next weekend though to hit the deer woods been seeing a really nice buck.
Got me some tuna and protein drinks today I'm going to try and get my strength back to power.

Coulter

QuoteCoulter hikes those peaks in the Adirondack Mtns Dan!!

Well dang it, I never did update you guys here on the climbing. I haven't climbed in the Adirondacks since May or so...I finished those and really should write up a report to share. I've been to the Catskills and Vermont's Green Mountains since then. Next Month will be New Hampshire's White Mountains and if all goes well - Mt Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast US and one with notoriously erratic weather. Sounds like fun! Then it's back to the Adirondacks in December to climb the 46 all over again in winter style :yoyo: These are all really training climbs at this point. I booked my trip to climb Mt. Rainier in Washington state next June via the Kautz Ice Chute.

But anyway, this is all waaaay off topic. I'll try and get something written up on all of those exploits that have kept me away from posting here all summer.

We now resume our regularly scheduled program, back to you Dan. Looking forward to seeing ya down at LBL. We have to get together and BS some more this time. If I think of any other good suggestions or if I see the guy down at the marina I'll ask him if he has any other suggestions.

Steve

Okanagan

WOW!  Mt. Rainier!  You are serious!  And be keerful on Mt. Washington that late in the year.  You know better than I how bad it can be in winter.

Coulter

Yes sir...Washington can be absolutely brutal that late in the year. That was intentional though. I figured it would make for good training for Rainier. I'll do a separate post on this later today...sorry about hi-jacking this thread Dan.

Steve

Frogman

Dan, I'm pleased your surgery went well.  Hope things continue to go well for you!  I will have a hard time keeping up with you at LBL!?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!