Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

I've got the next size up.  4000-9000 btu. Works pretty well.

MI VHNTR

I've got a couple of the Little Buddy heaters (shown in FinsnFur pic) for use in some of the deer blinds at camp. I use the Portable Buddy heater (shown in KySongDog pic) in my blind, since it's quite a bit bigger than the other deer blinds. Both work well, but I prefer the Portable Buddy due to the adjustable heat output and the stability of the unit when it's in operation. 
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

zack.klan

I have the smaller one. I mainly using it for ice fishing to keep the hut warmed up. Gotta give it a few minutes to warm up but then I'm basically forced to take off my jacket. I didn't like the base that it came with so I bought one where I could fold the feet out and it would be a little more sturdy.
Zack

FinsnFur

I bought the little buddy in my pic up there for the ice shanty. I've only used it hand full of times so far. I absolutely love it.
The heaters have some very serious mixed reviews. Some people have nothing but trouble and some say they work great all the time. A lot of them say that they work great the first few times only lol.

Last time I was out (last weekend) The heater wouldnt light. Brand new tank..ignitor is working as I can see it, but it wont light. I thought here we go...I got my initial use out of it and like the reviews say this is where I start having trouble.
I came home and ignored the ignitor and lit it with a duraflame lighter. It lit right up.  :confused:
I played with it for a while and shut it off, let it cool, and then tried to light it again with the ignitor and it lit every time for several tries, with many minutes of cool down in between.

I'm wondering if there's any tips or tricks to avoid this or if this is how they all act. And looking to hear about them from someone I can converse with verses reading a review from somebody who isnt even smart enough to know how to clean the burner orfice and pilot tube
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

I have the one like Semp its doesn't light very good when its cold but fires right up if you try it in a warm place.
Its the fuel I believe I buy the cheapest I can get.
Other than that it will fun you out of a blind.
Try putting your tank under your coat to warm it up before screwing it on and lighting.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

I tried that out on the ice that day Dan but it didnt work. Maybe it was too late and it wasnt getting warm enough under my coat.
Although, I do keep the heater in the house, so it didnt have a lot of time in the elements before i tried to light it.
Cheap gas? There's better gas? My tanks are Ace brand. I think they run around $3.79. I wonder if a Coleman tank would be better then. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Jim,

Maybe a better place to keep the tank warm would be to shove it down the front of your pants.  Assuming you stop for a quick bite of food or anything similar you might hook something entirely different when they notice, and I am sure she will, that you have a 'tank'.    :biggrin:

Just saying. . . .

Jerry

FinsnFur

Just got to work an read that. And now everyone's looking at me like a wierdo for snickering in the corner by myself lol

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

I have been wanting to get one of these. Either one really.

Yes there are better brands of fuel cylinders. I can tell a difference in burn time on my single mantle lantern. I get a couple hours longer on the higher priced fuel. 
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bigben

I have one of these

you can lay it down and use it as a stove as well as a heater.  Gets a pot of coffee cooking pretty dern quick too.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Okanagan

Quote from: bigben on January 20, 2017, 09:20:13 AM
I have one of these

you can lay it down and use it as a stove as well as a heater.  Gets a pot of coffee cooking pretty dern quick too.

I bought one of those 20 years ago, called a Mr. Heater/Cooker.  It looks like the one in your photo.  We used it tent camping on a couple of cold deer hunts in late November.  It put out a lot of heat but gobbled up propane fuel canisters so fast that we didn't use it much after the first trip.  On low as a heater it would last awhile but when cooking, a canister would barely last long enough to cook one meal.  I gave mine to one of my boys and recommended that they get a regular propane tank and hose to run it.  I wonder if the new ones are more fuel efficient?  They had just come on the market when I bought mine. 

Re cold and fuel:  Butane won't burn at all in deep cold weather and our little backpack stoves which run on isopro (a mix of propane/butane) do a lot better if we warm the fuel canister. 

bigben

mine has one setting and I do have it typically hooked up to a big tank. 

A buddy took a old knob and regulator off a cheap gas grill and put it on his and it lasts a good bit now.  a lot easier to regulate the temp.  and he uses small propane bottles and it'll last a few trips on the boat.  but he also has a pan that fills the whole grate too.  makes a difference all the heat is being used.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 20, 2017, 06:36:38 AM
Just got to work an read that. And now everyone's looking at me like a wierdo for snickering in the corner by myself lol

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Just shove a tank down and let them have a look.  Then they might be snickering.

Jerry

riverboss

I got mine after 2014 lbl that one night with no heat won't happen again!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

zack.klan

You have to press the on button, hear the click, and hold the button down for about 10 seconds. Once you hit 10 seconds, click the on button again and the pilot light should ignite. Once it ignites, keep it pressed down for a few more seconds and the whole thing will light.

It sounds like a lot when you read it, but it's simple.
Zack