• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

tracks

Started by snafu, March 15, 2017, 06:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I've been hunting hard. We received 4" of snow a few days ago. Yesterday around 25 miles West, SouWest of me I found a pr of tracks which I believe are lion tracks. They show a leading toe, no claw marks & 3 rounded lobes on the rear edge of the heel pad. They were a day old with a little melt. I put my foot next to them & they both are 4" + wide. They were hunting parallel along a timbered creek. If I happen to lay eyes on them today & get a pic or two. I'll post it. This is my last hurrah this Winter. As it is starting to warm up again.  :doh2:
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

Okanagan

That's a lion alright, and a pretty big one.   Wish you could have nailed him.

I've also been out driving back roads and snowshoing some for a couple of days, stayed out overnight and came home very sore.  We probably have more cougars in the big watershed I searched than you do in your half of the state.  Wish we could ship some to you or that you could have joined me.  I snowshoed out and did two calling stands with no results.  Each of those stands was in an area that had some 12 hour old tracks but nothing definitive as to where the cat was now. 

Then I snowshoed nearly half a mile to reach the rim of a vast canyon and called on spec with no tracks.  The sound went into a huge deer and elk wintering area.  Remind me to not waste my time on cold calls with no fresh tracks.   :nofgr:  Good exercise and a good way to reduce success ratio on calling stands.

Keep after them.

snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on March 15, 2017, 12:26:00 PM
That's a lion alright, and a pretty big one.   Wish you could have nailed him.

I've also been out driving back roads and snowshoing some for a couple of days, stayed out overnight and came home very sore.  We probably have more cougars in the big watershed I searched than you do in your half of the state.  Wish we could ship some to you or that you could have joined me.  I snowshoed out and did two calling stands with no results.  Each of those stands was in an area that had some 12 hour old tracks but nothing definitive as to where the cat was now. 

Then I snowshoed nearly half a mile to reach the rim of a vast canyon and called on spec with no tracks.  The sound went into a huge deer and elk wintering area.  Remind me to not waste my time on cold calls with no fresh tracks.   :nofgr:  Good exercise and a good way to reduce success ratio on calling stands.

Keep after them.

To bad for your efforts. Mine weren't any better. I serpentined searched my way over the river & feeder creeks for 40+ miles. Never picked up a fresh track. The snow was melting fast. Winter #4 down the crapper. I have yet to lay eyes on a single coyote or Red Fox, UNREAL! I did find a large swath area of CRP grass. It had a beat down coyote trail going in/out of it. I did run across 2 pick-ups with dump box, dog boxes on them. They were carrying greyhounds out on the hunt for coyotes, no doubt.   

FinsnFur

:jump: anything yet, anything yet??
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 15, 2017, 10:09:42 PM

Nope. But did see a Black Bear today.  :biggrin:

Okanagan

Quote from: snafu on April 17, 2017, 05:20:50 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on March 15, 2017, 10:09:42 PM

Nope. But did see a Black Bear today.  :biggrin:

WTG on spotting a black bear!

I have been way too busy and traveling a lot instead of hunting during our best spring snow time.  Fresh snow Saturday about half way down the mountains but I chose to go to a grandson's track meet, and enjoyed the choice.  We are heading for Pennsylvania Wednesday so won't be rambling our back roads till mid May or later. 

FinsnFur

...and no camera??
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Have the pilot honk the horn as you fly over Eastern Ohio Ok!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen