• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Fishing question

Started by Shortround, March 26, 2017, 02:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shortround

:shrug: ok guys,short round here,  I know this is random, but I need to know an easy way to take a fish off the hook.  Ever since I was little I have been fishing, however, I have always had someone else (my dad, or husband) take the fish off the hook. For example if I fish alone, I fish until I run out of hooks because I just cut the line, I know this is stupid but any suggestions are welcome Thank you and please don't judge me I'll check back periodically  :wo:

slagmaker

It depends on several factors. Fish species, how deeply hooked, type of hook and so many other things.

If touching the fish is the part that has ya squimesh they make a glove just for holding a fish and not hurting them.

You can also use a pair of needle nose pliers to assist in removing hooks.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

JohnP

Quote from: slagmaker on March 26, 2017, 04:27:08 PM

You can also use a pair of needle nose pliers to assist in removing hooks.

Bingo!
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

bambam

Most species I hold the line up so the fish is off the ground  , slide my hand down over the body so the spines on the fins can't gouge me, get a good grip , then  grab the hook with my other hand and twist it out. If deeply hooked you may have to use long pliers or cut the line.

on catfish or large fish ,  I grab them behind the neck/ gills  , get a good grip , then twist out the hook or use pliers .

nastygunz

Get yourself a set of fishing forceps, use them to pinch the barb down on the hook then when you catch a fish lock them onto the bend of the hook and give them a little twist and the hook will pop out slicker than snail shit on a pump handle with no damage  to you or the fish:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Black-Forceps-with-Pin-On/743541.uts?productVariantId=1583483&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=30016897&rid=20&gclid=CMCI7sC29dICFY6FswodJoMMBw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Most of the fish I catch with my flyrod I just hold them up with the line and then do the above procedure and never actually touch the fish.

If you know anybody who works in a hospital or who is an EMT you can probably get some forceps for free, I get top-quality surgical steel ones from my sister-in-law who is an operating room nurse.

This is a nice simple one that works great too :

http://www.orvis.com/p/ketchum-release/230Y?item_code=230Y0051&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-230Y-_-127748&gclid=CLeG94O-9dICFRGBswodDvYLig