• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

question for you plumbers

Started by bambam, August 20, 2018, 05:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

The pressure relief valve on my hot water heater  has been dripping for a while and recently got worse. I got a new valve and put it on today and it drips as bad as the old one. I followed the directions to the letter. Does this mean the heater is going bad  ? It is an old heater, not sure exactly but probably 15 years old at least. Thanks in advance for any advice.

pitw

You wasted your money on the valve. :doh2:
Now save up and buy a new tank to fix the problem. :rolleye:

Been there done that. :doh2: :doh2: :doh2: :argh: :pout:
I say what I think not think what I say.

centerfire_223

Put a bucket under it, just think now you won't have to water the dog. It will do it for you. :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

bambam

Thanks for that Nasty, good explanation. It is not dripping today, but I think Barry is right, I need to get a new tank. This one is old and is starting to rust around the bottom and even around the inlet and outlet lines. I'm afraid it is a disaster waiting to happen.

CCP

If the relief valve is leaking and you changed it and it starting dripping again you need an expansion tank installed or your thermostat is sticking causing excessive high temps.

It is now code to install expansion tanks in most places. What happens is the cold water in heater expands when it heats and the excess pressure has to have a place to go. If the house water pressure is low then it will just expand back into system.

As city and county water systems expand they turn up pressure to try and over come longer lines and makes homeowners pressure rise to the point the water heaters cant expand back into system so an expansion tank is needed.  Also a lot of areas are installing check valves at meter and pressure cant back out that way either.

I have areas here that went from 70 psi to 150 psi in the last 6 months so we have installed many pressure reducing valves and expansion tanks in these areas.

Relief valves leak for 3 reasons
1- Relief valve is weak and old
2- Pressure is above 150 psi
3- water is over 210 degress

l
Look up water heater relief valve explosions on youtube if you ever seen a water heater blow up its pretty amazing. In 34 years I have seen two homes after a water heater relief valve stuck and thank god no one was home.

Sorry for the long post you probably figured out I am a Plumber by trade.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bambam

thanks CCP, and everyone else !!   Very good advice !

pitw

Quote from: CCP on August 22, 2018, 05:55:33 PM
you probably figured out I am a Plumber by trade.

I kinda/sorta thought you was a plumber cause of all the BS you moved. :shrug: :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.

CCP

Yeap still moving the BS, problem is iam getting older and cant remember which BS
I told last so I try to make the next BS  better than the last which makes me have to try remember last BS and the BS continues....

Why I always enjoyed chatting with you. Been along time my ole friend.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net