• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ivory tone board

Started by ninthinning, April 28, 2007, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninthinning

Been working all morning on this ivory tone board.  Its made from the solid end of a large warthog tusk.  Very hard, dense ivory makes for super hard tone board surface.  Only part way done but tested it out.  My ears are still ringing.  All purpose little call.

Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

keekee

Brad H

Nice.

I bet the sound is super sharp!

Brad

Braz

Very nice Nineth. Again you have come up with a winner.
Braz

FinsnFur

That IZ pretty slick.
One question, how come you didn't carve the mouth piece out the other way so the call was pointing upward when being blown? Just curious.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

ninthinning

Bought twentyfive of these tusks.  Screwed up the first two with crooked holes.  This one was my third try.  Check out BradH's latest antler howler, same thing. Made a bunch of antler calls recently and cut the tone boards both ways.  Tone board flows more naturally along the curve, but I agree the horn looks like it should curve upward.  The wifes still off to quilting camp so I have one more day to work with this stinky stuff.  Thanks for the comments.
9th.
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

iahntr

:congrats: Very nice little call ! I bet that sucker is loud.  :congrats:
Scott

Hawks Feather

vvarmitr

That's sooo coool. Are any coming up for sale?

Arkyyoter

Pretty neat Eric....man that stuff stinks!!!

Joe

ninthinning

Cut and drilled my forth try to ivory shavings.  That's one call out of four tries.  Steep learning curve.  Thats four 9" warthog tusks for one call.  Wifes home today so no more antlers or horns for awhile.  The one call I did finish is amazing.  I love to play it but it hurts my ears to much.  The loudness may be because the three convergent cones on the inside.
Thank you
9th