• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Are Coyotes easier to call in this time of the year

Started by Bills Custom Calls, May 02, 2007, 04:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: All howl and no action. :roflmao: :roflmao:

weedwalker

Quote from: bnccont on June 10, 2007, 11:01:22 AM

I guess I should have said

That coyote that Bob missed had no reason to cross the road to get out of harms way lots of cover around here

Bill
Are you saying that because Bill couln'dt hit him, he had nothing to worry about? :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bills Custom Calls

Your Right WW all i was carring that day was a 12 ga shot gun

Here is the story of the hunt
http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=2100.0

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

possumal

Quote from: ohiobob on May 02, 2007, 06:36:43 PM
AWH
i HOPE you dont have a post like mine,,i HOPE you have a pic to put on your post!!!
a question i have also had so maybe some of you seasoned hunters can answer this,,from what i UNDERSTAND,which is really not much when it comes to coyotes is that the FEMALES are in the den with the pups right now and the MALES go out and get the food for the female,is this true and if so does that mean that the coyote me and Bill seen last saturday was a male?
AND if this is true why in the hell would the SO CALLED experts/purists over on ANOTHER FORUM :innocentwhistle: call everyone names and question your manhood for hunting coyotes at this time of year? and by the way thats why i tell them all to kiss my ass,,i tried to type something else over there that my Grandpa use to say but all that comes up is a
[beep] with 6 other words,,it IS a hell of a good saying that i dont think anyone has ever heard BUT it GETS its meaning across

Bill
sorry to hi jack your thread but i was wondering about the males getting the food for the females

Thank you very much
Bob

Bob: You are just a mean old rascal and can't get along with those purists over on the other sites. Here is my take on the coyote pups, female, and male as far as the time of year many refer to as "Denning".  First, not all of the pups are born at exactly the same time, as their gestation period is the same as a domestic dog, roughly 63 days from the time the breeding takes place, which will be different days for different pairs. So, in summary, the pups will be born sometime between March 1 and April 15.  When the pups are first born, the male does all the hunting for both himself and the female, and she feeds the pups milk.  At about the end of the 4th week or so, the female starts regurgitating solid foods and gets the pups to start eating meat, continuiing on with some nursing.  When the pups are weaned, the female and male start hunting together again, and eventually teach the pups how to hunt and kill their prey, much like a lion pride operates.  As far as them being easier to call, I think it is like Brent says. If you get near the core area where the pups were born, the female and male are extra aggressive in protecting both the pups and the territory, a much tighter area than their entire hunting territory.  The maternal and paternal instincts make pup distress a good sound at this time of year.  This is another reason it is a good time to train decoy dogs.  Jerry Hunsley can tell you all about that, and even has a video of when he got Wiley started. It was something to see. As far as which particular coyote vocals to use, you will get a lot of different opinions on that, but I always start with just a plain interrogational howl, as that pair does not want other coyotes in their territory, period.  I do not use a lot of prey distress sounds until I have tried the pup distress.  If you will look at my last post about "Last coyote hunt of the season", you will see that I started out with an Aggressive Red Fox, their mortal enemy. I then switched to a Fox and Coyote Fight, and then to the Coyote Pup distress. About 20 seconds into the pup distress, here comes a pair to defend their territory. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

coyotehunter_1

ohiobob wrote:
Quote... the FEMALES are in the den with the pups right now and the MALES go out and get the food for the female, is this true and if so does that mean that the coyote me and Bill seen last saturday was a male?

It possibly could have been either. For whatever reason, not all coyotes are members of a family group, pair up or bear pups. That's not unusual, this one could have been a rouge (male or female). //   

QuoteAND if this is true why in the hell would the SO CALLED experts/purists over on  ANOTHER FORUM call everyone names and question your manhood for hunting coyotes at this time of year?

Only 'cause they can...I guess? :laf:

Sorry Bill for jacking your thread   :doh2:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bills Custom Calls

No problem Chet

All comments are welcome here

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Rich

Here in western Iowa, the coyotes breed pretty much all the way thru february, which would put pups on the ground about May 1st. Some of the first pups may hit the ground a week or so before that. The Momma coyote may well stay in the den with her pups for a week or so, which is just a guess of course. I do know that she is out gathering food for herself and the pups before the pups are completely weaned. I know this because I have trapped and called several wet bitches while I was working a lamb killing complaint.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

possumal

I have run into females that were still suckling pups around the first of May like Rich has in Iowa, but very seldom.  I have killed a bunch of them in April and early May that had obviously suckled pups and had weaned them.  I have seen the pups with their parents in late May and June, learning to catch mice and voles and probably anything else that can be passed on to them. I would venture a guess that the severity of the winter has something to do with that too.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff