• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Snow level to find predator tracks

Started by Okanagan, December 25, 2019, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

We need snow down to 2500 foot elevation and lower to show tracks on our best hunting back-roads.  We had that Sunday morning for the first time this winter and it lasted till about noon before it melted up too high. Our mountains stick up well above timberline and have snow year round up there but the roads only go as high as trees big enough to make lumber grow.  My lazy hunt style for lions and bobcats is to drive old logging roads looking for a fresh track, set up near the road with minimal hiking of rough ground for me, and call the critter back.

We had a hard frost last night by dark, but this morning it is a cold, cold rain.  Clouds are too low to see our hills but I think the snow is sticking down to 1500 foot elevation or less.  Tempting, but we have a Christmas dinner to attend this afternoon.

When I got old enough to shotgun hunt, it was almost a tradition for teen friends within walking distance of our farm to hunt pheasants or ducks on Christmas Day, before our big dinner.  Anybody else hunt or try out new outdoor gifts on Christmas Day?

nastygunz

Our tradition back in the day when we were all young and living together was to take off Christmas morning unleash our pack of beagles and go rabbit hunting in the snow!  Then we come back soaking and half froze and have a nice big Christmas dinner, it was the best thing ever.

That slowly ended when everybody grew up and went on to jobs and the military, in different states and towns. Its a great memory.

FinsnFur

I'm gonna be mowing my lawn if winter dont come back. :wo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

44° and raining here this morning.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: JohnP on December 27, 2019, 09:36:24 AM
SNOWING here this morning!!!!

You have snow and we have 45 degree temps.  The U.S. really is turning upside down.

nastygunz

I think the chinese r manipulating the weather... :innocentwhistle: