• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First hunt with a great grandchild

Started by Okanagan, October 26, 2022, 07:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

What a gift to live long enough to hunt with a great grandchild.  Last evening it came to pass.

I've been too weak to do hardly anything as I recover from severe pneumonia, but my grandson phoned and asked if I was up to a road hunt with him and his 4 year old son, David.  He knew I had a doe permit.

They picked me up and we headed for the nearest logging road. 15 minutes up the road a doe stepped out 125 yards ahead of us and stood behind a bush on the edge of the road.  By then 4 year old David was asleep and didn't even wake up at my shot.  But he was into it when we all got out in the rain and his dad dragged the doe 60 yards back to the road.  We were back home before dark.  Grandson Code came out to help process the deer and the grandsons would not let me help at all but sent me inside and back to bed.  Deal!

bambam

Hawks Feather

Sorry the great grandson missed seeing the shot, but glad that he got excited afterwards. Hopefully you got some pictures so he will be able to look back at his first hunt. Also, hope you keep getting better.

1snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on October 26, 2022, 07:51:20 PMWhat a gift to live long enough to hunt with a great grandchild.  Last evening it came to pass.

I've been too weak to do hardly anything as I recover from severe pneumonia, but my grandson phoned and asked if I was up to a road hunt with him and his 4 year old son, David.  He knew I had a doe permit.

They picked me up and we headed for the nearest logging road. 15 minutes up the road a doe stepped out 125 yards ahead of us and stood behind a bush on the edge of the road.  By then 4 year old David was asleep and didn't even wake up at my shot.  But he was into it when we all got out in the rain and his dad dragged the doe 60 yards back to the road.  We were back home before dark.  Grandson Code came out to help process the deer and the grandsons would not let me help at all but sent me inside and back to bed.  Deal!

Nothing better than hunting with Family, enjoy!

KySongDog

Awesome time with family! Glad to see you're still kickin' too. :readthis:

JohnP

I know exactly how you feel. Last year I hunted with my son, grandson, and great-grandson.  Everyone tagged out, except me. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

He said Grampa go inside and get to bed. But you can bet he's at school telling all his friends about the ordeal. :highclap:
You guys made his day :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Grandson and his son, my oldest great grandson.   He was a little nervous about touching the deer.  The little man phoned me this morning excited about going deer hunting again, and calling himself Deer Hunter Boy.

Should be good eating, and with two little boys and another on the way,  this grandson could use the meat.  He already used his deer tag on a doe he killed with his bow the second morning of archery season.  He kind of wanted to hold out for a buck but he is super busy and decided to put meat in the freezer.  One tag per year in Washington State.