• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rambling....

Started by THO Game Calls, June 18, 2007, 11:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

I thought Bop's drawing looked like a Weir fish trap, a very old design.

Saxon Fish Weirs:
Scroll down to the bottom of the link page to see the type of trap Bop is describing. 

http://www.arch.soton.ac.uk/Research/justin/saxon%20fisheries.html

Another site that shows several types of devices, including the basket trap:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-4.php
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Jimmie in Ky

Not enough info there Chet. But they did give instruction for an illegal gill net though  :wink: That is what I keep finding everywhere I look. I can weave th basket but don't know enough about the loading doors for bait or to remove the fish.I am starting to think the tie at the end is the trick to it. Jimmie

coyotehunter_1

Well, Jimmie....  I guess it's back to using Dupont spinners  :rolleye:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Lonehowl

Al, very timely thread for me as well.

About 5 years ago I asked myself the very same questions about  hunting. I would obsess over getting some of the latest equipment to use and would spend a wad of dough getting it, only to sacfrifice a few hunting trips because suddenly I couldnt afford to go, having bought all the junk. I decided to stop, and simplify my life a little and get back to basics.

Actually it all started with compound bows. I grew up on a recurve, but switched to a compound. Then I had to get all the crap that goes with them, which adds up quick. But then again, it all looks professional like and you look like you know what your doing.
Then, just like computers, that compound is out of date a year later. It still shoots, but it aint good enough.So, off to the archery shop...

The last couple years I have switched back to a recurve and LOVE it. I have so much more fun with it. My buddies think Im crazy, that is untill we shoot.
So Im on a quest to simplify things and have more fun when it comes to all forms of hunting for me.

Btw, I would enjoy the survival topics. I just got back from a two day "wandering" in the woods, by myself. Partly scouting for deer season here in August(bow) and partly just practicing my "self reliance" and tracking skills.

Hey Al, I envy you getting to attend a Tom Brown school. I have taken a couple short survival courses, but would like to do his.
Just please tell me you didnt run out and buy " the knife"?

THO Game Calls

LOL - no, back then, we all carried the Gerber Mark III.   It was a macho thing. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Bopeye

Anyone know how to start a fire using a coke can and a chocolate bar?  :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

ohiobob

YEP
you sit down and drink the Coke,eat the Chocolate bar and pull your lighter out and "flick your Bic"
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Bopeye

Quote from: ohiobob on June 24, 2007, 05:27:50 PM
YEP
you sit down and drink the Coke,eat the Chocolate bar and pull your lighter out and "flick your Bic"
Bob

:doh2: ................ :roflmao:

Bopeye

You can take a chocolate bar and rub it on the bottom of a coke, pepsi, beer, whatever......can.
Continue to rub the chocolate on it in a circular motion occasionally wiping it clean with a rag, shirt whatever. When it get's to a high shine you can use it almost like we did as kids with magnifying glasses.

Put a little tinder down. Let the sun shine on the bottom of the can and reflect off of it and concentrate the light just like though glass.
It works.  :wink: