• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rambling....

Started by THO Game Calls, June 18, 2007, 11:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

Back in the day....

Bow Hunting meant you took your long bow or recurve out and stalked your deer on the ground.  Or maybe you sat behind a blind.   Now a days, you got a compound bow with 90% let off, sights, releases, arrows made of plastic and we sit in tree stands that look like a lazy boy while we wait in complete comfort for a deer to walk by dressed in our scent loc suits and fancy camo.

Black powder season meant you got your cap and ball gun or maybe a flintlock and hoped it didn't rain. We maybe even dressed up like Daniel Boone and we had fun reliving, at least for a few days every year, out countries past.  75 yards was a pretty good shot with a round ball and our speed loaders were a couple of 35 mm film canisters (anyone remember cameras that used film?) one filled with some black powder and another with some patches and balls.  Now we have inlines with scopes that will drive tacks at 200 yards or more, shooting pellets and sabots.  More like a single shot 30/06 than a black powder gun.  Heck, most of them don't even shoot black powder anymore. 

When it comes to coyote hunting.

Ever read the stories about the guys in coveralls with an old shotgun or rifle and a few hand calls?   Seems they had a good time and put up some fur.   

But now, you need to drop anywhere from 500 to 900 on an e caller, another grand on a AR 15, some slick camo, a decoy, and God knows what else. 

It all makes me wonder what we are doing out there.

I remember walking back to the jeep one day with a hunting buddy.  We had hunted for about 10 hours made over a dozen stands and not called in a single coyote.   We were beat both mentally and physically but my partner said as we got back to where we had parked, "well, at least we got to take the guns for a walk".   

I wonder how many of us still get a little bit of enjoyment out of just sitting under a tree in the woods on a nice fall day?   Or being the first one to see the sun come up on a crisp winter morning?   Or if we're not dragging fur out, do we think the day has been a total bust?

Do you think that as "hunters" we've lost our way somewhat?   That with all the high tech gear and the emphasis on the "kill" that we are missing out on one of life's little pleasures by just being out "there"?

We argue over which E caller is best, which rifle shoots the fastest, which camo hides us better than the other, if it's possible to fool the coyotes nose, should we hunt with the wind or against it and a million other things that in the end, might or might not get us some more fur at the end of the day, but is that why we really hunt?   

I'm sure most of us remember our first deer, or coyote, or what ever.  And we might even remember the biggest one, but do we remember EVERY one?   I don't.  But I do remember the day I was sitting in my tree stand and watched a bob cat try for 20 minutes to catch a couple of blue jays.   The red tailed hawk that came into one of my calls and sat on a limb not 20 feet from me before it got bored and flew away.   The bald eagle that came soaring down the creek bed one morning looking for whatever it could find for breakfast and a hundred other scenes that played out right in front of me on Natures stage, scenes that the vast majority of people will never see.   

Maybe it's better to sometimes remember why we hunt, than argue about how to hunt or what to hunt with.

So the next time you see me getting all wrapped up in the how's and why's and what's best, remind me why I really hunt, and why I am out there.  I'd appreciate it, and if you want, I can do the same for you.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

keekee

Amen brother Al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen!

Brent

Bills Custom Calls

Very Well Said Al!!!!

Just a few months back NewDog and I were hunting,Had a hawk swoop down and almost take my hat off with its wing.I thought it was pretty neat!!
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Bopeye

"So the next time you see me getting all wrapped up in the how's and why's and what's best, remind me why I really hunt, and why I am out there.  I'd appreciate it, and if you want, I can do the same for you."

I'll remind you and you remind me. That wasn't rambling at all. That was wisdom dripping off of your fingertips and on to the keyboard.
I always feel like I'm seeing the picture when I'm out there, it's chatting online that sometimes skews my vision.

I love everything about the outdoors............I try not to look at it, but instead let it soak into my very fiber.
Excellent reminder.  :highclap:

Funny thing about your article though.............I thought only Chet and I called it "taking our guns for a walk"......... :confused:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

After reading this again. Man that brings back some thoughts. Good memory's with some great people!!!!!!!!!

Back to my first deer, first trapped animal, first fish, first called predator! WOW!

I get rapped up in the every day dealings with work, 24 hrs a day damn near 7 days a week. Heck I wake up from a dead sleep sometimes and have figured out the problem with a machine ( in my sleep!), and call in to work and have the guys fix it! And same with hunting any more! With the calls, video's, web site, phone calls, emails and future planning, it all kind of runs together some! What ever happened to the good old days of being able to just shoot coyotes! Or just having a good day in the field? Or like you said just taking the guns for a walk!

Makes a man set back and think don't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I will tell you this! There have been many days out hunting when things get tough, I tell myself just what you just said! The little critters that I see, the friendships I have made, just the good times that have been had over the years while hunting or fishing. If I died in my sleep, I would not change a thing! I believe everything happens for a reason! I'm just thankful that I have had the good fortune to do what I have done, and see some of the things I have seen!

It could be allot worse!

Brent

FinsnFur

I didnt look at it as ramblin at all Al.
I agree, sometimes a little wake up call is what we all need. Far too much right in front of us is taken for granted everyday. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

awh

Very well put Al. This is what I'm trying to get into Lil-mans head. Our last trip out calling we hit 4-5 stands over on the farm and nothing answered our calling efforts. Cam looks up at me and said, "at least we got to come out this morning". Then we sat there and talked for an hour or so before gathering all the stuff up to walk out. It's that I will remember. Not the bad day of calling but the great day of talking to my son, taking the time to listen to him and the joy it gives me to watch him learn. Thank you for reminding us all of what it's all about. :highclap:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

KySongDog

I dayum sure don't hunt just for the fur or meat.    If I did, I'd be constantly depressed.    I do it for FUN.    And all the reasons Al said.    If I happen to get lucky on the way and actually kill something, well, that's just icing on the cake.

Semp

Hawks Feather

Al,

Great post.  While I enjoy the kill, I thought I was one of the only ones that truly enjoyed just being out there watching the world wake up (or go to sleep).  When I am by myself "out there" it sure is fun to just relax and think or in some cases, not think at all.

Jerry

browning204

I talked to Rich Higgins on the phone for a while yesterday and as we were trading stories it reminded me of when Al and I were hunting all the time. ( before my G/F had the baby)

I would come home from hunting, dead tired, legs aching, and hungry. My G/F would ask "how many coyotes did you and Al see?"

My answer was most times the same, NONE. She would ask why.

And my answer was it is pretty hard to call coyotes or anything for that matter when we are to busy laughing our asses off!

Every now and then we would keep it together and call a coyote. But you know, just being out there in nature, and doing something that you enjoy with people you enjoy is what it is all about.

Plus, if I NEEDED to kill all kinds of critters I would just vacation in Texas. :shck:
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Jimmie in Ky

For a great many years I have followed the k.i.s.s. methods in many things. Especially my hunting. Years ago I worked part time in an archery shop and saw the constant bombardment of products aimed at the sportsmen, Even helped design and build a few myself. But they never reallly measured up for me. They took away some of what I was out there hunting for. While others were buying the latest tree stand I was trying to perfect my still hunting skills.

Today no matter what weapon I hunt deer with, I do it still hunting ,slipping through the woods to take my quary. You may see me at the hunt with a turkey vest but that is to hold a number of mouth calls for variety and the string around my neck holds the primary calls I will be using. I change coveralls because the last set is worn out not because it's the latest in camo patterns. My boots are usually the same ones I work in because they are well worn and broken in.

My weapons are the same , simple yet effective. A good scope and bolt action are all I really want in a rifle and my old pump shotgun will do just fine thank you.

The most important part of the hunt for me is fooling whatever I am after. I also spend a lot of time watching the wild world go by while I am out there. Observing is just one way of learning about nature itself. Each animal tells me something new when I am in their world . Even when fishing one eye is on the cork and the other is watching th wildlife around me. It is a place where I can be at peace with the world. Jimmie

Bopeye

It seems that we may be in the humble beginnings of an esoteric journey with this thread.

I like it.......... :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Bop,

"esoteric journey"  Are you talking about people over a certain age or over a certain level of intelligence?  I would have to agree that the people that listen to radio station W I I F M  (What's In It For Me) only care about the number of kills and not much else.

Jerry

weedwalker

Red Dog

Amen!!! The good old days were some of my best :yoyo:

cb223

The kill is just a bonus.

Going to the woods and watching nature unfold is what it is all about.

I love to watch the sun come up or go down, to watch the squirrels chase each other,watch the young deer of the year play in the field,etc,etc  but the best part of it is when I have one of my kids with me to watch it all!
CHAD

HaMeR

Helluva post!! I hunt because I can come home with a clear head. I don't know exactly what it is about being out there but it works for me. I am always relaxed & don't think I've ever had a bad hunt. Maybe it ended a little bad once in a while from a poor shot probably on my part,,, but a bad hunt,,, I don't recall any. Thanks for this post. I know I take my 78 year old Dad's hunting trips for granted at times but posts like this one rekindles the memories!! :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 19, 2007, 04:38:40 PM
Bop,

"esoteric journey"  Are you talking about people over a certain age or over a certain level of intelligence?  I would have to agree that the people that listen to radio station W I I F M  (What's In It For Me) only care about the number of kills and not much else.

Jerry

Hmmm....I was talking more about those of us who are of likeminds.  :biggrin:
You know.........the whole being at one with nature type stuff. Nobody understands it any better than an outdoorsman.  :wink:

Jimmie in Ky

I don't think we can ever become one with nature. It's just not possible in these modern times. But we can observe and enjoy what we see and learn out there.

As for age, yes , it does take some maturity for many to start seeing what is truly out there. It hits each and every one of us at diferent times and ways. For some it happens in their twenties and others may never reach that point no matter their age. The folks that are after the numbers alone have no idea of what they are missing out on.

It seems to me as time goes on AND I get older, there  is less and less time for what I love. So each moment I can get out there is very precious to me. I even steal each moment I can when I should be working here around the house. When checking fences my eyes are on the ground reading the stories they leave behind for me. Watching even the humming birds and squirrels at the feeders is a moment of escape from the world we live in today. Even sitting here talking with everyone helps bring back memmories I will carry with me always. Now I got to get back to work, see yah'll in the funny papers. Jimmie

THO Game Calls

The quickest way I know to become "one" with "nature" is to try and pet a wild grizzley.   They are supposed to have a pretty fast metabolism in the summer and it shouldn't take you long  :)

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results