• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Preferred bullet type?

Started by Coulter, July 04, 2007, 10:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Okay, the bipod issue looks like it has been run out. Lets move on to something else :eyebrow:

What type of bullets do you guys prefer for yotes? For fox? For whatever shows up at your stand (a good all around bullet)?

I know it depend on a lot of variables. Here is what I am looking for though. A bullet for a .22-250 that will reach out and touch a critter without blowing a gaping hole through the other side. I have always been a trapper first and foremost, so pelt damage is a big issue with me. Is the .22-250 a bit overkill for fox? How about a .218 fireball? I sqw one of these at the gun shop and fell in love with it too. But I wanted the .22-250 first.

When I'm talking about bullets, lets explore grains, as well as types..ballistic tip, core lokt, v-max, etc. I do plan to reload my own ammo so I am looking for the best all around load.

Steve

vvarmitr

218 Fireball? :confused: :shrug: You sure that wasn't a 221 Bee, er maybe a 228 Firebee or the necked down version called the 211Beeballs. :wo:              :nono:  :eyebrownod:  :nono:

In the 22Varminter ..er I mean the 22-250, same difference, I use the the 52gr A-Max almost to the exclusion of all others. It floats like a feather & stings like a bee. (Oh no, here we go w/ the bee thing again!:laf:  I'm also fawn of it in my 220Swift too. ;yes;  :wink:

As for the 218 Bee it would make a great fox/coyote round w/ a 100yd limit. Mine is in the Marlin 1884 lever action w/ the flat nosed 45gr ...  :confused: I forget which brand? :shrug: Anyhoo, after seeing what it does to g'hogs I don't hesitate to take it on a predator hunt.

RShaw

In 22-250, I use Hornady 53 gr. hp match running about 3800. I want exits and these are very manageable.

For fox, this load is not practical. Hard to find  a cartridge that is reliable for coyotes and treats foxes with kindness. In my experience, the 17 hmr is about right for fox. You still get exits on reds, but most of the time not on the greys.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

Coulter

VV...now that you mention it. I think it was a .218 Bee. I recall seeing a little Bee on the underside of it. The gun was sure a beaut...Fluted s/s bull barrel and all. I think I am going to go back up and try to swing a deal with the shop owner. :biggrin: Don't tell my wife though :innocentwhistle:

Steve

vvarmitr

Coulter

Re: Preferred bullet type?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:19:05 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VV...now that you mention it. I think it was a .218 Bee. I recall seeing a little Bee on the underside of it. The gun was sure a beaut...Fluted s/s bull barrel and all. I think I am going to go back up and try to swing a deal with the shop owner.  Don't tell my wife though

Steve

:holdon: OMG!!!   :shck: Look at your post count on this post! :readthis:

It's a sign from God! ;yes; Get the rifle! :thumb2:

BTW, your wife & I never talk about you,  :innocentwhistle:
:laf:  :laf:  :laf:  :whew:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: vvarmitr on July 12, 2007, 10:20:59 AM

BTW, your wife & I never talk about you,  :innocentwhistle:

This might be a good time to ask what he talks to YOUR wife about, if it is not you.

Jerry

Coulter

A sure sign from the heavens :shck: I didn't notice that. It must be an omen, I have to have it now. I'm heading to the gun shop when I get back.

Just keep telling my wife about all the necessities required for predator hunting and we'll be alright :roflmao:

Steve

Rich

The  .22-.250 is gonna be tough on fox fur, no matter which bullet you choose.  I have found the 55 grain Sierra "Gameking" to be a decent coyote bullet. The "Gameking" being of strong bullet construction, I would probably go with that one for coyotes, bobcat and the occasional fox.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------