• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Turning Calls

Started by TookyRiverCalls, October 03, 2007, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TookyRiverCalls

Well started turning one last night out of Birds Eye Maple.  I've got a little ways to go still but so far it's looking real nice.  Just need to finish up my depth of the pot, write down  my measurements and up the back of the call.  I'll see how I do this afternoon and maybe get a few photos up here.

I had a Zebra-wood blank on there I was working on but ended up splitting it :sad:  After that happened I was going to turn in for the night but decided to keep going!  This turning stuff sure is addicting ;yes;
www.tookyrivercalls.com
The Last Call Your Turkey Will Ever Hear

THO Game Calls

I find Zebrawood worse than anything to turn a pot out of.   It is just horrible LOL.   Makes for a beautiful call, but man is it hard to turn without chipping or cracking. 

One thing I do with mine, is to take them to the band saw and get as much excess off as I can before I put them on the lathe.  This really helps. 

Can't wait to see some of your pot calls

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Hawks Feather

I have never turned a pot call, but am looking forward to some pictures of yours.

Jerry

TookyRiverCalls

Quote from: THO Game Calls on October 03, 2007, 11:14:23 AM
I find Zebrawood worse than anything to turn a pot out of.   It is just horrible LOL.   Makes for a beautiful call, but man is it hard to turn without chipping or cracking. 

That's good to hear :whew:  Here I thought it was something I did.

Well like I said, I've got to still sand her up and finish her but here is how she looks for now.  It's a pretty simple design but I like it for my first try :biggrin:

www.tookyrivercalls.com

THO Game Calls

I'm sure no expert on turkey calls, but how do you think it will play wth the side walls so thick?  I've always tried to make mine about 1/8 to 3/16 and no more than 1/4".  I would be interested in hearing how it sounds when glued up!

I make my pot calls with a cup shaped pot too.  So much easier to hold.  I think you have a good marketable design there.

Good luck with them

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

TookyRiverCalls

I'm not sure :shrug:  I do have the inside tapered in a little below the lip and even thought about taking some more off.  Do you know where I can find a  Mandrel 1/4" shank like below?  I might be making my trip to your shop tonight Al.  I'll call first.

www.tookyrivercalls.com

Troy Walter

This might help you remove some wood on the inside.
I turned this pot call real fast this morning to show how it works.

TookyRiverCalls

Which tools is it and who makes it?  I'd be interested in trying one.
www.tookyrivercalls.com

Troy Walter

It is a sorby relief cutting tool and you can get them at Hartville Tool.

TookyRiverCalls

www.tookyrivercalls.com