• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Need Feedback

Started by AWSparrows, October 15, 2007, 04:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSparrows

I've been working on a new call, new shape, new finish, on the new lathe ( i bought a Rikon).  :whew:
Here is the line-up, the shapes vary slightly.
Tell me what you think of the shape & wood combo's.

From left to right.
Zebra & Lace wood
Maple Burl
Wild Spalted wood
Wenge & Black and White Ebony
Curly Maple & Black and White Ebony
Wild Burl

Thanks fur lookn and any feedback
-Aaron

THO Game Calls

All I can say is if that is wenge, you did one heck of a job finishing it.  That stuff is nasty with a BIG N. 

They all look nice to me, simple, good looking, should get the job done with some class and style to boot  :)
Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Bills Custom Calls

I think you done 1 heck of a job or rather 6 very nice jobs  ya got good shine and as for the shape of a call that belongs to the turner and that looks good to me also
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Todd Rahm

Hey Aaron, how ya been?

If I had to narrow it down to one for shape and its purely my preference, I really like #4.

They all look like they finished well. As far as the laminated wood combos, that boils down to the buyers preference. I like #4 again, but the other three laminates don't quite draw me in, and its juts simply the wood combos, and again that would just be me, others may like how those woods go together.

Do ya have any pics of the ends of the calls? And the only difference I could see in the two pics posted, is the last call appears to be turned a 1/4.

Just me but I like where your going with your calls , and as Bill said, it has a style that would say Aaron Sparrows all over it when ya first see it. Nicely done.  :congrats:

HaMeR

I like em too. They appear to be very comfortable in the hand. That means very little movement when on the stand. Very nice finish as well.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

AWSparrows

Thanks guys.
I was gonna ask about the finish since its something new for me but finish is hard to judge from a picture. Its a real durable finish though, I've been carrying the 3rd call around in my pocket and handling it for about a week now and it still looks the same as when I first finished it.

Al,
Yep that's wenge, thanks.
I agree, not only is it a pain to work it also smells.

Todd,
I've been good, really busy but good. My wife just had our 4th 6 weeks ago.
No I don't have a pic of the ends, I'll take one though. The shortest is 3" and the longest is 3&1/4", the OD is right around .850 and the ID of the barrels are about 1/2" except the one on the right its about 5/8".

FinsnFur

They look good from here.
Nice color combos, the finish looks good in the pics, and your design appears to be unique.

Keep em coming  :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Congrats on the little one! Calls look good. Like others said, it's a style that people could look at and see it was yours.
Scott

Brad H

I think you're doning a good job, Aaron.

Btw, congrats on the 4th!

Brad

AWSparrows

Thanks guys.

Todd,
Here is a pic of the ends, and a pic of a voice & wedge that I made from spalted maple. I've made a few of my own voices but this is the best sounding one so far and it can produce a wide range of sounds.

Here is a pic of the new lathe, I like it better than my Jet.

Todd Rahm

Thanks Aaron they look good.

Now to the important stuff.........Boy? Girl? Give the intel on the new Sparrows? Congrats to you and the wife.  :congrats:

AWSparrows

Its another girl, Alexandra Christina.  I'm out-numbered.  :sad2: :nono:

Here is the gang.
Left-to-right, Abby(10) Steph(29) Alexa(about 10 hours) Me(37)
Front row :laf: Hallie(6) Brandon(4).

Todd Rahm

Ya have a beautiful family Aaron, but you and the lil' feller have your work cut out for ya.  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

AWS,

Nice looking family and congratulations on the new daughter.  Just remember, if you have girls, you will get more boys than you want.   :wink:  (I have two daughters.)

Jerry

AWSparrows

Thanks guys.
Jerry, I'm not looking forward to when the girls start dating.
I can picture it now, Me cleaning a shotgun when a boy comes to pick them up for there first date. :wink:
With the way things are anymore I just hope the boy will come to the door to pick her up.

THO Game Calls

QuoteI can picture it now, Me cleaning a shotgun when a boy comes to pick them up for there first date.
With the way things are anymore I just hope the boy will come to the door to pick her up.

If range is a problem, I am sure someone here will loan you a rifle   :eyebrownod:

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Hawks Feather

I have done some gun cleaning on the kitchen table, but showing new dates a few knives really works wonders.  As for not picking your daughter up at the door, just tell them to let any boys know that unless there is a knock at the door, and a young POLITE boy coming inside, they will not be coming out.  And if the date starts honking, they better be delivering a free pizza to their dad because he will be the one coming out.  I don't know if the girls were more scared or the dates, but it worked.  I did have one boy that had been dating my youngest for a couple of months that did pull into the drive and honk.  I went out and he had a pizza.  He said he just wanted to check and see if what he had been told was true.   :biggrin:   He was a good kid, so I invited him in to some pizza and even paid for it when he got ready to leave.

Jerry

bowjunkie

Aaron, I agree with Todd the style is good and the #4 call just jumps out at me very nice job ...... And a great lookin bunch ya got there congrats on the new addition  :yoyo:

Ed